Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Frontier: The Latest Open-Source FPS

Phoronix: Blood Frontier: The Latest Open-Source FPS

Cube was early on one of the first open-source first-person shooter games designed around its own engine. The 3D graphics for Cube were not the best, but development of this game had been going on since 2001. Based upon the Cube engine was then the Sauerbraten game that was also referred to as Cube 2 with its engine being redesigned. Now though another game is emerging and its engine is derived from Sauerbraten. This game is called Blood Frontier and in this article we have a few screenshots of this game, which is working its way towards a stable release for the open-source community.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know where it comes from, but from Cube and Sauerbraten I feel queasy after 10 or 15 minutes. Maybe it is the type of projection? In can play other fps for hours without problems. Will this be better in Blood Frontier?

Comment

I wonder when open source FPS will leave this kind of ridiculous jumpy gameplay and those placeholder-quality sounds, especially voices?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
        I don't know where it comes from, but from Cube and Sauerbraten I feel queasy after 10 or 15 minutes. Maybe it is the type of projection? In can play other fps for hours without problems. Will this be better in Blood Frontier?
        Join the club. That's because some people consider the epilepsy simulator that is Sauerbraten "fast-paced". You know for all it's visual pleasantries (and Sauerbraten is rather impressive for an OSS project), the single player game completely sucks to me. If you consider the number of multiplayer or deathmatch shooters on Linux (Nexuiz, OpenArena, True Combat, Assault Cube...) the single player mode is where it really has a chance to shine.
        Last edited by Joe Sixpack; 02 February 2009, 12:33 AM.

Comment

It's a pita to get working on 64bit unfortunately. getlibs and etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            It's a pita to get working on 64bit unfortunately. getlibs and etc...
            That's only about two minutes extra work.

I don't feel qeasy from sauerbraten (or bloodfrontier) after 10-15 minutes and I like the fast pace of the games, so it's fine with me. The graphics are also pretty nice, and lot of people play sauerbraten, so I hope more open-source games will be based on the cube 2 engine. At the very least there is the RPG, eisenstern, which is currently under development, and will be build on top of the cube 2 engine

Comment

I just tried it. Works perfect with my HD3650 highest details.
              Its quite catchy, but I would love to see a realistic Rainbow six kinda game with that engine (or an OpenGL 3 optimized.)

Comment

eisensternwhich is currently under development, and will be build on top of the cube 2 engine
                At the pace of 1 commit per years it will take 20000 years before something usable, nobody work on it, I think they dropper it by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                  If you consider the number of multiplayer or deathmatch shooters on Linux (Nexuiz, OpenArena, True Combat, Assault Cube...) the single player mode is where it really has a chance to shine.
                  I agree. There are already so many multi-player death match shooters. I would love to see a good open source single player FPS, something like Half-Life
                  Last edited by monraaf; 01 February 2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

This game seems like one of the better open source shooters out there. At least one of the better non-id-Tech-engine-based games I played lately.
                    I just tested it a bit and I must say it actually IS fun.

But yes, you're right, there are already a lot of multiplayer games out there and very few singleplayer games.

Personally I think one of the best singleplayer scenarios would be some kind of RPG based FPS game such as Deus-Ex for the Windows platform.
                    Unfortunately I don't see something like this coming in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                    X