Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get the Linux version of my games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post

Yeah... Once we hit 30-50% of the market share and Windows sales are flagging. We might be at that threshold- we might be another 5 years out from it.
    I hope the netbooks help in that respect though they are too weak hardware-wise.

Give that man a cigar!
    +1 person who understands the situation. The more people who understand it, the better. Now how are those... ahem... titles going, Svartalf?

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
      I hope the netbooks help in that respect though they are too weak hardware-wise.
      As it stands, the partially cleaned-up, tweaked up, version of Soul Ride I've been tinkering with for various reasons is marginally playable on my eeePC. This is at least partly due to the fact that the Intel drivers are still rather sub-optimal, even for Intel's standards, on Linux and will be for a bit yet to come, beings that we lack a few things to make them more usable in this context.

Having said this, while there's a potential market there, it's going to need some serious clean-up/tuning on the driver front as well as whatever titles you try to run up the flagpole in that space. One can manage games on these machines- just can't do some of the stuff I've alluded to earlier in this conversation.

Now how are those... ahem... titles going, Svartalf?
      Waiting to hear back from the studio/publisher on the actioned NDAs. Not gotten very far (yet!) on anything else.

Comment

I finally broke down and installed Steam a few days ago, given their big sale and the recent free(beer) copy of Crossover Games I picked up when Codeweavers had their promotion.

It prompted me to do one of their monthly hardware/OS surveys, which I've always thought were cool/interesting, but painful for Linux/Mac users who need to present a "Windows" answer to the probes Steam does.

Much to my satisfaction though, although it did report that I was running Windows XP 32, there was explicit reference to Wine in the Audio hardware section - it picked up that I was using a "Wine audio driver" or something.

The survey results seem to lump everything that could be Wine-related in the "Other" bins for each category, but it'd be cool to know just how much Wine is used on Steam. At least Valve knows the games I just bought are running on a non-Windows OS

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
          The survey results seem to lump everything that could be Wine-related in the "Other" bins for each category, but it'd be cool to know just how much Wine is used on Steam. At least Valve knows the games I just bought are running on a non-Windows OS
          That has actually been done in one of the Wine news articles:
          http://www.winehq.org/wwn/333#Number...0using%20Steam
          It has been quite long ago now though, but I think 0.13% won't change that much apart from "small number" to "small number" within the next few years

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
            That has actually been done in one of the Wine news articles
            Cool, thanks for the link. I think the number certainly has changed in the last year though - not specifically Linux, but mainly the fact that Macs run Wine now and 2008 would have been a big growth period for Intel Macs, coupled with big advancements in Wine itself.

Comment

That's got to stink.
              Nah, not really, just a fact of life.

Well it is worth it Africa is a beautiful place. Have you even seen Farcry 2? They got the bushveldt pretty good, except the foilage is much more sparse, and largish trees tend to only ever grow on the egde of a river/stream.
              LOL, when I went to Brazil last year, I was disgusted at how wet it was :P

Jokes aside, I have to say Svartalf, that thread of yours about the ports, explaining how the game industry actually works, well, THAT did probably more good to the Linux gaming industry than a whole lot of advertising could ever do.

Us Linux users tend to be the more rational(cynical?) types, so we need to understand the issue. Hype, as in most advertising, doesn't do good.

I wonder if an "awareness campaign" would do any good?

Comment

As it stands, the partially cleaned-up, tweaked up, version of Soul Ride I've been tinkering with for various reasons is marginally playable on my eeePC. This is at least partly due to the fact that the Intel drivers are still rather sub-optimal, even for Intel's standards, on Linux and will be for a bit yet to come, beings that we lack a few things to make them more usable in this context.

Having said this, while there's a potential market there, it's going to need some serious clean-up/tuning on the driver front as well as whatever titles you try to run up the flagpole in that space. One can manage games on these machines- just can't do some of the stuff I've alluded to earlier in this conversation.
                I read about nVIDIA's Ion platform. I think that problem is going to get solved pretty soon though not immediately I think. As more netbooks become stronger, I think it'll get pretty difficult to ignore Linux as long as those netbooks come with Linux pre-installed.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                  I read about nVIDIA's Ion platform. I think that problem is going to get solved pretty soon though not immediately I think. As more netbooks become stronger, I think it'll get pretty difficult to ignore Linux as long as those netbooks come with Linux pre-installed.

Netbook numbers are pretty misleading. MSI for example say that linux based netbooks suffer from 4x the return rate, plus there are many that buy the cheaper linux netbook and install windows on it. Plus there will be Windows 7 soon that is supposed to be optimized for netbook use coming soon.
                  Last edited by deanjo; 01-03-2009, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Sorry but whoever buys a cheap netbook to install Windows on it deserves a face-smack. In this scenario alone the Windows copy costs 3 times as much as the entire netbook... That's like selling a ferrari for 10k buckets... utmost STUPID!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                      Sorry but whoever buys a cheap netbook to install Windows on it deserves a face-smack. In this scenario alone the Windows copy costs 3 times as much as the entire netbook... That's like selling a ferrari for 10k buckets... utmost STUPID!
                      3 times as much is exaggerating. OEM copies of XP can be had for ~$75 (even cheaper as a student), many people pirate or use a license from an old system.
                      Last edited by deanjo; 01-03-2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X