Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prey Linux Retail Client Released

Phoronix: Prey Linux Retail Client Released

Back in October Ryan Gordon surprised the Linux community by releasing a Linux game demo of Prey two-years after the game began shipping on Windows. He was contracted to port the Prey server to Linux but this was the first time we were seeing any client...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjkxMA

I guess I'll go out and buy a windows box of the game O.o

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Prey Linux Retail Client Released

Back in October Ryan Gordon surprised the Linux community by releasing a Linux game demo of Prey two-years after the game began shipping on Windows. He was contracted to port the Prey server to Linux but this was the first time we were seeing any client...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjkxMA
      a benchmark between the wine emulation (which runs quite well) and this native client would be quite interesting!

Comment

Maybe I'll make this my Christmas present instead of SCII.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
          No! Wait for release on tuxgames.com.
          We have to support linux games. It costs exactly like windows version here in Slovakia

Comment

This is very nice, Prey is a great game.

But as a heads up, the Steam CD-key does not work with the Linux version. (atleast for me).. . So even if you can use the data files from the Steam install, you still need a boxed version for the key.

Comment

Originally posted by Crbz View Post
              This is very nice, Prey is a great game.

But as a heads up, the Steam CD-key does not work with the Linux version. (atleast for me).. . So even if you can use the data files from the Steam install, you still need a boxed version for the key.
              I don't think the ones in the box are different, since you can buy a boxed version and enter your cd key in Steam to gain the copy digitally.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                Check your local bargin bin. Found mine for $5.

Comment

Here I was thinking that this was a new game when I read the news, but as it turns out this game was released WAY back in 2006 !!! So its taken 2 years for a ID Tech 4 (which is based on OpenGL) game to be ported to Linux !!

On another matter I see no obvious slowdowns when playing this game with Compiz enabled but sometimes the mouse gets all funny and I can't aim at anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                    So its taken 2 years for a ID Tech 4 (which is based on OpenGL) game to be ported to Linux !!
                    No, it's been Linux compatible virtually the entire time. Doom 3 has been on Linux for a few years now.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X