Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Client For Linux Confirmed

Phoronix: Steam Client For Linux Confirmed

Earlier this year we shared that Valve's Source Engine is coming to Linux after receiving some information that pointed in this direction. In addition, a year ago Valve Software was publicly looking for a senior software engineer to port Windows-based games to Linux platform. There have long been rumors and hopes among Linux users that Steam games would become natively available for Linux, but we have additional confirmation that Valve Software has ported their Steam game client to Linux. In Valve's most recent title, Left 4 Dead, there are shared Linux libraries shipping alongside this Windows game client.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13183

weeee

This must be the best Linux Gaming news i have read all year!

Comment

This is great news!!! Oh I hope it's really true..

Comment

I really don't get the point, those files have been maybe forgotten to delete from the Win game, they have to be there for the dedicated server. I see no extra new file there, so what is new in that news? Hopefully the game is fun

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I really don't get the point, those files have been maybe forgotten to delete from the Win game, they have to be there for the dedicated server. I see no extra new file there, so what is new in that news? Hopefully the game is fun
          While that does make sense and could explain most of the filenames, but it doesn't explain steamclient_linux.so

Comment

That file is used by the dedicated server. Until somebody discovers a file which is _NOT_ used by the dedicated server you only can say that somebody forgot to clean those files from the win build, not more.

Comment

I just got all excited; if it turns out they're _not_ porting steam to linux at this point, I'm going to fricking cry.

If people feel they have to pay $1000 extra to buy a Mac, I have a feeling they'll not be in a mood to pay that much for legitimate versions of games. If the industry goes to Apple, these companies are SCREWED.

Comment

Great news if true. "Confirmed" probably isn't the right word for the article title though . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  That file is used by the dedicated server. Until somebody discovers a file which is _NOT_ used by the dedicated server you only can say that somebody forgot to clean those files from the win build, not more.
                  That's what I think too.

Comment

Dear God, I hope this is true! Although it looks like it might be, you never know, it might be some server files or something else.. Can't you contact someone at Steam, like that Alfred guy for example and confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
                      Dear God, I hope this is true! Although it looks like it might be, you never know, it might be some server files or something else.. Can't you contact someone at Steam, like that Alfred guy for example and confirm this?
                      No response yet...
                      Michael Larabel
                      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I run HLDS and SRCDS dedicated servers. This file is nothing special. Steam has been "ported" to Linux long ago, or else you wouldn't be able to download and update the servers.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                          I run HLDS and SRCDS dedicated servers. This file is nothing special. Steam has been "ported" to Linux long ago, or else you wouldn't be able to download and update the servers.
                          How does that mean there is a Linux client just because you can update the server? It's pretty obvious that they'd only need a little bit of work to make the game run on Linux though, regardless. Looks like they just have this one single developer working on it, was probably the one who was hired by the ad they had a while back.

Definitely will consider buying it for Linux, but at the same time Linux users are sort of left in the dark since they rarely advertise it, and often don't "officially support" it or even display or have links for it on their main websites. You never see it listed in system requirements either, or see it stated anywhere really. Again, not that I'm not grateful for any and all Linux software, but it's just sad we keep getting left in the dark, having to rely on "Linux secrets" almost to find out what games out there are actually made for us since these companies do zero advertising work. Is it so much to ask for a penguin or a 5-letter word to be blurbed someplace?

Comment

Btw, you can't buy Steam. It's a free download

Comment

Although I still doubt a linux steam client will ever happen, It would be an excellent step for Steam. They would probably end up with 100% of the commercial gaming market for linux. I only play steam games on linux and I've paid at least $200 for games on steam. If they were to make the client native I would probably buy every game that claimed linux support. Right now I'm only buying games that Wine supports perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X