No announcement yet.

Farewell To The Linux 2.6 Kernel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they should just start using binary for version numbers.
    ie:

Kernel 10.110.11100
    Last edited by deanjo; 18 October 2008, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I think they should just start using binrary for version numbers.
      ie:

Kernel 10.110.11100
      Okay... I change my vote to THAT.

Comment

i don't like it at all. Just keep it simple like today. Whats wrong with having a 2.7.x, 2.8.x, 2.9.x, 3.0, etc. It is simple and we can clearly see which version is newer.

Comment

Hmmm... I for sure would like something different than 2.6.xxx. Given how long "2.6" is around this prefix doesn't give much information anymore. How "old" e.g. is 2.6.13? Well, it's like "14 versions old", which give a rough idea of "outdated", but if this is how versions are compared one could just as well drop the "2.6" and call it "Linux 27", "Linux 28", ... which looks pretty stupid.

So I'd definately appreciate the year (and if possible/meaningful month, too) to be in the version number, so one can relate to it on a human scale.

Comment

This would be a big step in the wrong direction and really should be resisted. The current linux versioning scheme reflects the actual work, the actual technical milestones, and the relative stability of the kernel. Do I care what year and month it was released? No, because with this model of development progress is measured in work and innovation accomplished not predetermined product shipping deadlines.

Those people who wish to replace 2.6.27 with "linux 2008 SP3" need to have their heads examined.
            Last edited by khaije1; 25 October 2008, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageX View Post
              Hmmm... I for sure would like something different than 2.6.xxx. Given how long "2.6" is around this prefix doesn't give much information anymore. How "old" e.g. is 2.6.13? Well, it's like "14 versions old", which give a rough idea of "outdated", but if this is how versions are compared one could just as well drop the "2.6" and call it "Linux 27", "Linux 28", ... which looks pretty stupid.

So I'd definately appreciate the year (and if possible/meaningful month, too) to be in the version number, so one can relate to it on a human scale.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a troll with this reply but why doesn't Nexiuz follow this scheme then?

Originally posted by khaije1 View Post
              This would be a big step in the wrong direction and really should be resisted. The current linux versioning scheme reflects the actual work, the actual technical milestones, and the relative stability of the kernel. Do I care what year and month it was released? No, because with this model of development progress is measured in work and innovation accomplished not predetermined product shipping deadlines.

Those people who wish to replace 2.6.27 with "linux 2008 SP3" need to have their heads examined.
              Amen

Comment

Working...
              X