Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALSA Driver For The Creative X-Fi Appears

Phoronix: ALSA Driver For The Creative X-Fi Appears

Just a few hours after publishing A Year Later, X-Fi Drivers Still Horrific for Linux, believe it or not but we have a new Creative X-Fi driver. ALSA, the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, now has an experimental Creative X-Fi driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Furthermore, Takashi doesn't have an X-Fi sound card"

this article really made me have a nice morning laugh

Comment

This is really great news and there is already someone who's contributing to the sbxfi alsa driver =)

A lock up bug has already been fixed.

Comment

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along!

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        this article really made me have a nice morning laugh
        Ditto. This even trumps EPIC's UT3 status (I, personally, love EPIC Games, by the way). But, like "Source(TM) on Linux," I hope I'm proven very wrong and everything falls into place.

Comment

If it starts working once upon time it would be fine. Would allow me to develop some 3D audio under Linux using OAL :P ... not that I lack sound... there's onboard... but so far I used this card only for sound deving under XP.

Comment

I got sick of waiting a year ago and bought an M-Audio Revolution 5.1. That driver's issues with one channel off on reboot has been fixed so it is unlikely I will ever bother with X-Fi now - too little too late. Good news for those stuck with an X-Fi though. Creative need all the market they can get these days, you would think they would have been more helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
              Creative need all the market they can get these days, you would think they would have been more helpful.
              Their days are numbered anyways with them going broke fast.

Comment

Creative's probably not going away anytime soon because there are a bunch of clueless consumers that keep buying their cards no matter how terrible their drivers are. Even if Creative goes bankrupt and ceases production, its lawyers (which have always been the company's greatest asset) will troll patents for years to come.

Comment

Couldn't agree with you guys more. I gave up hoping on [ALSA] X-Fi drivers a long time ago. Though, I will say that when I saw "ALSA Driver for the Creative X-Fi" my interest was peaked simply because the hardware is still installed on my box. Since I'm replacing hardware and this (few year long) indecent happened, it's now their problem, not mine.

OTH, my HD3870X2 just started working with the Catalyst 8.9 driver. Sure, it was 9 damn months later, but only one month after CrossFire support was released. All of this would be and should be considered ridiculous by Windows users... but I digress, this is not an ATi thread.

By the time the X-Fi works (if ever), I'll prolly have a new sound card. Or of given up on Linux. One or the other

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Creative's probably not going away anytime soon because there are a bunch of clueless consumers that keep buying their cards no matter how terrible their drivers are. Even if Creative goes bankrupt and ceases production, its lawyers (which have always been the company's greatest asset) will troll patents for years to come.
                    When companies start selling off their HQ's to lease them back in an attempt to get some free capitol, it's a good indicator that financial hardship is upon them. Small companies like creative can't continue to take quarter after quarter of 20+% losses and hope to be around long.

Comment

Working...
                    X