Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache Is Going To Release A New Version Of OpenOffice

Phoronix: Apache Is Going To Release A New Version Of OpenOffice

Five years ago today marked the fork of OpenOffice.org into LibreOffice and coincidentally the Apache Software Foundation put out news this weekend that a new version of OpenOffice is coming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That sounds good, not for this bugfix version, but for the next major version, whatever new they will release will be added to libreoffice. But the idea of having 2 open suites doesn't have any sense, at least not anymore.

Comment

If they'll do a new, nice, modern, usable user interface soon...then I'm sold.

Comment

Looking on their commits, Apache Office is pretty dead. No new major features, no real improvements, nothing. Very few contributors. Whatever they mumble, its just riding a dead horse. They are no match to LibreOffice at all. LibreOffice processes have got ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE larger scale. So it much faster, more features, better compatibility and someone alive to deal with bugs and go even further. Not something Apache Office can afford. I noticed Apache Foundation these days only serves as toxic waste facility for ex-proprietary/corporate crap and so on. Not the best role one can pick up, tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
          That sounds good, not for this bugfix version, but for the next major version, whatever new they will release will be added to libreoffice. But the idea of having 2 open suites doesn't have any sense, at least not anymore.
          Then OpenOffice and LibreOffice can should just both stop. KOffice/Calligra predates both.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Then OpenOffice and LibreOffice can should just both stop. KOffice/Calligra predates both.
            Incorrect. OpenOffice predated KOffice under the name StarOffice back to 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
              If they'll do a new, nice, modern, usable user interface soon...then I'm sold.

User interface is nice. They should put efforts into a faster display engine. Impress performs poorly and Calc is also pretty slow in big sheets with many diagrams.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

User interface is nice. They should put efforts into a faster display engine. Impress performs poorly and Calc is also pretty slow in big sheets with many diagrams.
                I agree. The UI works well and should best be left alone. MS with their ribbon UI seem determined to find the best way to confuse their users, no need to follow that path. If I could choose, my personal preference would be to focus on PDF import, keep improving OOXML support and perhaps an OCR tool.

Comment

Who cares?

Comment

People should just boycott this thing. This sort of fragmentation is just a cancer.

Comment

Working...
                    X