No announcement yet.

OwnCloud 8.1 Focuses On Greater Performance & Scalability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@M@yeulC - I'd argue that none of the closed bits are interesting for a home or small business user. Sure, if you specifically want to play with them, yes, but there isn't a normal use case where you need them.

Just to make it concrete - we're talking about integration in Sharepoint and Windows Network Drives, oracle DB stuff and lots of logging and reporting stuff needed for compliance if you want to be a supplier to US government. There is S3 object store, the enterprise edition can have that as primary storage while you can only have it external in the open source version I believe.

On the other hand, the Enterprise edition does not support ownCloud apps - so no calendar, no contact, no music player, no video player, no password manager, not even the picture gallery. I'd argue that only a crazy person would consider the Enterprise Edition better for home users..
    Last edited by jospoortvliet; 08 July 2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      actually, many of the hugely successful truly open source projects that you want some examples of have been purchased.
      MySQL [
      JBoss
      Ceph
      Gluster
      etc..

But there are other really successful companies like
      Zabbix
      Docker
      MariaDB
      Percona
      Mozilla
      Untangle
      pfSense

And products inside Red Hat that are open source and are profitable
      KVM
      Openshift
      Those are great examples, but remember that they're enterprise-oriented. Only Mozilla is really targeted at regular home users the same way that ownCloud is.

I would love for other examples to be posted, but my hypothesis is that purely open source projects focused on regular end users have a difficult time with funding. Most of them have to be run as hobby projects.

Comment

Working...
      X