No announcement yet.

Creative Tries Again At Linux Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why buy one at all? If the support is so shoddy and it's a royal PITA to set up, why not just buy a used Audigy 2ZS? I bought one of these sound cards (Creative, ironically) for a computer that had crappy onboard sound that was giving me problems. That sound card solved my sound problems and gave great sound. I read that some people can hardly tell or can't tell the difference with the new Creative sound cards. I guess there are extra features but is it going to matter that much? My Audigy 2ZS works out of the box in any distro I tried and it gave me more equalizer settings compared to my onboard sound.

It might be difficult to find that particular card considering it's a previous generation but I think the challenge/trouble is worth it. You are not giving money to Creative as someone else did who originally bought the card. Isn't it better to give your money to a manufacturer who at least provides some half-decent support and seems to be making a genuine effort in developing/improving that support? Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      Why buy one at all? If the support is so shoddy and it's a royal PITA to set up, why not just buy a used Audigy 2ZS? I bought one of these sound cards (Creative, ironically) for a computer that had crappy onboard sound that was giving me problems. That sound card solved my sound problems and gave great sound. I read that some people can hardly tell or can't tell the difference with the new Creative sound cards. I guess there are extra features but is it going to matter that much? My Audigy 2ZS works out of the box in any distro I tried and it gave me more equalizer settings compared to my onboard sound.

It might be difficult to find that particular card considering it's a previous generation but I think the challenge/trouble is worth it. You are not giving money to Creative as someone else did who originally bought the card. Isn't it better to give your money to a manufacturer who at least provides some half-decent support and seems to be making a genuine effort in developing/improving that support? Just a thought...
      Just by the way, I have always been curious about Audigy 2ZS support under ALSA.
      There's the emu10k1 driver, which works quite good for me. However, why is it called "emu" and what features does this driver actually give me compared to the official Windows driver?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
        Just by the way, I have always been curious about Audigy 2ZS support under ALSA.
        There's the emu10k1 driver, which works quite good for me. However, why is it called "emu" and what features does this driver actually give me compared to the official Windows driver?
        emu is referring to dsp name on the card. E-mu is the professional audio division of Creative.

Comment

Well, I've got an Audigy 2 ZS, the sound is great, but is still a lot better under Linux with ALSA than it is with the original Creative Windows drivers, even when playing games

But to be honest I consider buying the ASUS Xonar DX 7.1...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Well, I've got an Audigy 2 ZS, the sound is great, but is still a lot better under Linux with ALSA than it is with the original Creative Windows drivers, even when playing games

But to be honest I consider buying the ASUS Xonar DX 7.1...

Really? I got the Value version of the card (which is basically the same) and it sounds better under Windows (XP) than in Linux with ALSA. I'm no audiophile, but it seems to have much better bass and "richer" sound with the Creative driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              Really? I got the Value version of the card (which is basically the same) and it sounds better under Windows (XP) than in Linux with ALSA. I'm no audiophile, but it seems to have much better bass and "richer" sound with the Creative driver.
              it probably does various extremely invasive filters which you like more..

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
                it probably does various extremely invasive filters which you like more..
                CMSS is enabled by default I believe under Windows. also I find ALSA and WindowsXP drivers aren't volume matched. at equal volume I find little difference between the two.

The new drivers work... for the most part. I still have a rather aggravating OSS under ALSA issue; cat (wav) > /dev/dsp results in pretty loud screeching instead of the right sound. I hope my tweeter isn't blown. 5.1 sound doesn't work, and dmix results in a bad hiss. Not that there's a reason to use dmix, but it shouldn't be hissing either. There's also been no approval activity on the Creative bugreport page for over a month, but if you look at the RSS feeds, bug reports are still being made.

My modded Elite Pro sounds much better than the Prodigy 7.1 HiFi I had in this box, but I might go back to it because of the killer OSS issue (vmware sound doesn't work).

I haven't seen any emu20k1 code in the alsa repositories, so I'm wondering if it might even be in 1.0.18.
                Last edited by seeker010; 06-27-2008, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seeker010 View Post
                  My modded Elite Pro sounds much better than the Prodigy 7.1 HiFi I had in this box, but I might go back to it because of the killer OSS issue (vmware sound doesn't work).
                  VMWare's crappy sound support is well known. There is currently a big push for then to finally adopt a native alsa output and according to their devs is a high priority. Hopefully the final of 6.5 will finally include it.

Comment

Working...
                  X