Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Opens Up Their Performance Library

Phoronix: AMD Opens Up Their Performance Library

In another move of good faith for the open-source community, AMD has today announced it has opened up their once proprietary AMD Performance Library. The AMD Performance Library, or APL for short, has been opened up under the name of Framewave...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some more insight on this? What does it do? How does it help us?

Not that it's not awesome that they did it

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
      Not that it's not awesome that they did it
      I couldn't agree more. I love to read things like "opens up" or "expand functonality", but what's the stuff in between about

Among the supported operations are H.264 video decoding
      Wait a minute, wasn't that problematic because of Digital Restriction Management. I'm just a stupid user, so excuse my confusion

Nevertheless, well done AMD!

Comment

@puntarenas: There's no problem in doing h264 decoding, you can have h264 with no DRM. Just go to apple's trailer website and you have lots of h264 trailers.

Anyways, what I couldn't get was the license. Under what license is this being released?

Comment

Decoding the format (in this H.264) has nothing to do with DRM, however some H.264 are wrapped around encrypted containers, so it is necessary to decrypt the container to decode the content. Fortunately (apparently) the bits to actually decode the streams are not the same as the ones to decrypt the containers

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
            @puntarenas: There's no problem in doing h264 decoding, you can have h264 with no DRM. Just go to apple's trailer website and you have lots of h264 trailers.
            Thanks, I mixed it up with the GPU documentations and there were some problems about documenting hardware acceleration without compromising DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post

Anyways, what I couldn't get was the license. Under what license is this being released?
              Checking the project's site in SourceForge should give you an idea.

BTW, the license is Apache License V2.0 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/framewave/)

Comment

sounds like great news, lets check this baby out

Comment

So I guess the impending dump that will happen this week (or if something happens the week after I suppose) will be the tcore materials?

...or will we get tcore and something more?
                  ...or maybe something other than tcore?

Comment

Originally posted by Uchikoma View Post
                    So I guess the impending dump that will happen this week (or if something happens the week after I suppose) will be the tcore materials?

...or will we get tcore and something more?
                    ...or maybe something other than tcore?
                    The article will cover in detail what is being released and the status
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X