Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.17 Lands Memfd, A KDBUS Prerequisite

Phoronix: Linux 3.17 Lands Memfd, A KDBUS Prerequisite

There's many new features to Linux 3.17 that were covered over the past two weeks on Phoronix. One of the merged Linux 3.17 features that went under our radar at the time was the new memfd syscall was merged, which is a requirement of the forthcoming KDBUS, the kernel-based D-Bus implementation sought after by the systemd crew...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc2NzQ

so it's like shm_open but with using a fd instead of a name ?
    i thought it would allow changing permissions on the fly; guess i have to read better next time

Comment

Oh look, cancer spreading...
      Yet another infection to remove before compiling...

Comment

Could wayland_shm use memfds?

Comment

Originally posted by atari314 View Post
          if you can do better show some code....

Comment

How about you guys educate yourself before complaining? memfd has nothing to do with kdbus except that kdbus happens to use it. For details, see:

http://dvdhrm.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/memfd_create2/

You read it? Ok, now continue calling work of other people "infectious cancer" without having a clue what it is all about...

Comment

Originally posted by dvdhrm View Post
              How about you guys educate yourself before complaining? memfd has nothing to do with kdbus except that kdbus happens to use it. For details, see:

You read it? Ok, now continue calling work of other people "infectious cancer" without having a clue what it is all about...
              Thank you. I was getting annoyed with all this stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314 View Post
                Why ? It is meant to enable dbus replacement that will be far leaner. What's so wrong with that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                  Why ? It is meant to enable dbus replacement that will be far leaner. What's so wrong with that ?
                  There's some people on these boards that do their best to rip out anything dbus related if at all possible.. theyve said so before in other Dbus related threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    There's some people on these boards that do their best to rip out anything dbus related if at all possible.. theyve said so before in other Dbus related threads.
                    no arguing with irrationality..

someone better not tell 'em that dbus uses sockets, lest they try to build a kernel without socket support :-P

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post

someone better not tell 'em that dbus uses sockets, lest they try to build a kernel without socket support :-P
                      If only it used just sockets! Dbus also runs as a process, imagine that!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                        If only it used just sockets! Dbus also runs as a process, imagine that!
                        It's written using a programming language! Oh the horror!

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post

That would certainly help keeping the noise level down in the forums...

Comment

Originally posted by dvdhrm View Post
                            memfd has nothing to do with kdbus except that kdbus happens to use it. For details, see:
                            Thanks for the links it was interesting and it seems like a nice feature.

Comment

D-Bus is not a problem by itself. What I don't like is that kdbus/systemd is choking off what I used to like about GNU/Linux, namely its simplicity and fine control. Hence why I and several others use BSD and in my case, commercial UNIX now.

Comment

Working...
                              X