Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARM's 64-bit Juno Platform Should Be Quite Exciting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ARM's 64-bit Juno Platform Should Be Quite Exciting

    Phoronix: ARM's 64-bit Juno Platform Should Be Quite Exciting

    Announced yesterday by ARM was their Juno development platform as the first "open" development board for 64-bit ARM with its ARMv8 instruction set...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczMzM

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: ARM's 64-bit Juno Platform Should Be Quite Exciting

    Announced yesterday by ARM was their Juno development platform as the first "open" development board for 64-bit ARM with its ARMv8 instruction set...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczMzM
    How "open" are the graphics for this.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      How "open" are the graphics for this.
      They use Mali, so the Lima driver should work. Not sure how well, though. I've just ordered a pcDuino3, so soon I'll know

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by phoronix
        Mali-T624 graphics
        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        How "open" are the graphics for this.
        The graphics driver uses binary blobs. The hardware is not yet listed as supported by the reverse engineered Lima driver: http://limadriver.org/Hardware/ (though I understand that work has started already).

        Comment


        • #5
          Its a shame really. The Apple A4 has been out how long now??? Well I would like to see how well this compares to x86_64 both in integer and floating point, and especially performance per watt. What intel charges for their cpus, especially their xeons is just highway robbery nowadays.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
            Its a shame really. The Apple A4 has been out how long now???
            Over 4.5 years. If you meant the 64-bit A7, that'd be 9 months now.

            Comment


            • #7
              "They will only be available to qualified partners and developers" - basically, these boards are not for the mere mortals. You will not be able to buy them even if you wanted to...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                Its a shame really. The Apple A4 has been out how long now??? Well I would like to see how well this compares to x86_64 both in integer and floating point, and especially performance per watt. What intel charges for their cpus, especially their xeons is just highway robbery nowadays.
                According to geekbench 3, the a7 @1.3GHz (abi compatible with arm v8a) is about 30% faster than the Core i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz. So, clock for clock, it looks pretty good. My guess is, though, it'll be either the gen after a57, or a later rev before it gets serious. There's also the question of how fast these new archs can clock, with the best newest Intel going past 4GHz.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ssvb View Post
                  "They will only be available to qualified partners and developers" - basically, these boards are not for the mere mortals. You will not be able to buy them even if you wanted to...
                  I requested a qoute on a single board, ~around 5000 So you CAN get one, if you have the spare cash..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mlau View Post
                    I requested a qoute on a single board, ~around 5000 So you CAN get one, if you have the spare cash..
                    or a spare kidney. or have no problem prostituting yourself.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X