Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd 213 Adds A Time Sync Daemon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Systemd 213 Adds A Time Sync Daemon

    Phoronix: Systemd 213 Adds A Time Sync Daemon

    The latest update to systemd is now available and it adds a lot more functionality to the system management daemon...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwMzM

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Systemd 213 Adds A Time Sync Daemon

    The latest update to systemd is now available and it adds a lot more functionality to the system management daemon...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwMzM
    Is this brand new development or adopting/adapting something like Chrony under the systemd umbrella?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MartinN View Post
      Is this brand new development or adopting/adapting something like Chrony under the systemd umbrella?
      It's a new SNTP (not NTP) client. Chrony is a full-featured NTP client and server for use cases where very accurate clock skew is a requirement.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by strcat View Post
        It's a new SNTP (not NTP) client. Chrony is a full-featured NTP client and server for use cases where very accurate clock skew is a requirement.
        thanks. wasnt aware of the distinction (SNTP vs NTP).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by strcat View Post
          Chrony is a full-featured NTP client and server for use cases where very accurate clock skew is a requirement.
          Now you are describing ntpd. Chrony is only useful in cases where you don't have 24/7 internet, but still want to have some kind of serious synchronization going.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MartinN View Post
            thanks. wasnt aware of the distinction (SNTP vs NTP).
            The "S" stands for "Simple." If you need constant accuracy use NTP. If you only need intermittent updates use Chrony or systemd-timesyncd.

            Comment


            • #7
              newsflash

              Systemd 2048 Adds ssh shell server
              ...
              Systemd 16383 Adds full featured X-server
              ...

              A new computing paradigm is emerging which claims to better and results in less crashes than Microsft Systemd. The paradigm seems to be based of a much older paradigm, since long deemed inpractical. The new computing paradigm is called KISSS, which seems to be an acronym for "Keep It Simple and Stupid, you Stupid!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                Now you are describing ntpd. Chrony is only useful in cases where you don't have 24/7 internet, but still want to have some kind of serious synchronization going.
                Chrony is lighter than ntpd despite offering some additional features.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                  Systemd 2048 Adds ssh shell server
                  ...
                  Systemd 16383 Adds full featured X-server
                  ...

                  A new computing paradigm is emerging which claims to better and results in less crashes than Microsft Systemd. The paradigm seems to be based of a much older paradigm, since long deemed inpractical. The new computing paradigm is called KISSS, which seems to be an acronym for "Keep It Simple and Stupid, you Stupid!"
                  All seperate daemons, all separate binaries. Systemd: Umbrella Project, like Apache, not Systemd PID1... Troll argument is troll

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    All seperate daemons, all separate binaries. Systemd: Umbrella Project, like Apache, not Systemd PID1... Troll argument is troll
                    The various *BSD operating systems are a good comparison, since the kernel and core userspace are developed in a single repository, and systemd aims to provide the core userspace of an operating system.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      All seperate daemons, all separate binaries. Systemd: Umbrella Project, like Apache, not Systemd PID1... Troll argument is troll
                      And this is good, as the Linux userspace needs a bit of dictatorship. Common components, commands and API

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Aren't We A Bit Sensitive?

                        Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                        All seperate daemons, all separate binaries. Systemd: Umbrella Project, like Apache, not Systemd PID1... Troll argument is troll
                        See the title....

                        Perhaps the person is just poking fun, trying to make your day a little bit more pleasant and enjoyable.

                        Then you turn to slinging the "T" word at the poster. How are you no different from Lennart in this respect? Perhaps you are nothing more than a sockpuppet for Lennart.

                        Hey Ericg...lighten up.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                          Then you turn to slinging the "T" word at the poster. How are you no different from Lennart in this respect? Perhaps you are nothing more than a sockpuppet for Lennart.

                          Hey Ericg...lighten up.
                          Last I checked.. Troll was a pretty minor insult. Like on the same level as calling someone a "jerk.", maybe even less than that. Also, it stops being "funny" after the millionth time. Everyone knows that the surefire way to start a 90pg systemd thread is to make just ONE comment about it being monolithic.

                          Trust me.. I've done my fair-share of Lennart bashing. Im far from a sock-puppet or a fanboy. He's not perfect, he's screwed up, but systemd thusfar isn't one of the screwups.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I wonder how soon Archlinux's core repository will contain only a single package...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Meant as a joke but for the record..

                              Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
                              I wonder how soon Archlinux's core repository will contain only a single package...
                              ... Not anytime soon: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?...iner=&flagged=

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X