Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Foundation Announces A Core Infrastructure Initiative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux Foundation Announces A Core Infrastructure Initiative

    Phoronix: Linux Foundation Announces A Core Infrastructure Initiative

    The Linux Foundation has announced a multi-million dollar Core Infrastructure Initiative to fund critical open-source projects. The first project receiving money from this pool is OpenSSL...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3MjE

  • #2
    Hmmm....OpenSSL, not LibreSSL? I thought OpenSSL was irrevocably broken?

    Comment


    • #3
      "Core Infrastructure Initiative"? Aww, I was hoping it would be called "Pacemaker"

      Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Hmmm....OpenSSL, not LibreSSL? I thought OpenSSL was irrevocably broken?
      Not if you throw money at it it's not!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Hmmm....OpenSSL, not LibreSSL? I thought OpenSSL was irrevocably broken?
        It's clearly not LibreSSL. Linux Foundation should not accept the terms in which the investment is done; they have to protect the freedom of the libre community and they should administer that investment money in the projects they are genuinely and scientifically interested on. If all those companies have real interest in patching OpenSSL, they should bring their own developers to upload patches to the project. What I believe they are attempting is to control the interest of development for their own benefit.

        Comment


        • #5
          Competition

          The HeartBlead bug showed us that there was a lack of competition on SSL layer software. Too many considered OpenSSL the best even tough it had many disadvantages. And this is why ot became almost omnipresent.

          OpenBSD will ensure that OpenSSL have some competition and the Linux Foundation will ensure that OpenSSL stand a change in this competition.

          You can always argue that this should have happened long ago. But that argument won't fix anything.

          They are fixing this now, and that is good.

          Comment


          • #6
            Where the F is HP at?

            Big names in the industry - but where the f is HP? They had over 30 bugtraq advisories last 2 weeks, all concerning the heartbleed bug. If there's anyone who should throw in monies to improve on OpenSSL it's definitely HP who takes it all, gives nothing back.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by arabek View Post
              Big names in the industry - but where the f is HP? They had over 30 bugtraq advisories last 2 weeks, all concerning the heartbleed bug. If there's anyone who should throw in monies to improve on OpenSSL it's definitely HP who takes it all, gives nothing back.
              Just as i wrote - 4 more came in with the same heartbleed bug as the cause... HP, what's your game!?

              @Michael - might want to reach out to them for comment?

              EDIT: for reference: http://insecure.org/search.html?cx=p...leed&sa=Search

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, please, give some money to the Xfce devs so they can work full time on it. And let's not forget Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, LibreOffice, Openshot, Wine and others.

                Better development tools would be nice too. Something like Eclipse (a multi-purpose IDE) but without the bloat.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wargames View Post
                  Yes, please, give some money to the Xfce devs so they can work full time on it. And let's not forget Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, LibreOffice, Openshot, Wine and others.

                  Better development tools would be nice too. Something like Eclipse (a multi-purpose IDE) but without the bloat.
                  I'm all for that.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Gimp, Libreoffice and the others aren't exactly "Core Internet infrastructure" this fund was meant for :P

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X