Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Link DCS-2330L HD Wireless Network Camera

Phoronix: D-Link DCS-2330L HD Wireless Network Camera

For those in need of an outdoor-ready HD wireless network camera for added security for your home but that isn't dependent upon any Windows (or non-Linux-compatible) application software for viewing and managing the device, meet the D-Link DCS-2330L.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice but -13?F doesn't do it in the great white north!

Seriously I stopped reading after seeing the temperature range. This "outdoor" camera is capable of operating at. Reliable operation is needed well below -13. I'm not to sure the unit can handle the hot south either, but right now I don't have to worry about that.

All in all I think many of these manufactures need to get off their asses and visit the rest of the USA to see how their products are used. Apple is another company that needs to make sure their devices can operating in the same environments the owners of their products work and live in. As it is a product that can't operate below -13 outside would be marginal or completely useless for weeks at a time around here in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Seriously I stopped reading after seeing the temperature range. This "outdoor" camera is capable of operating at. Reliable operation is needed well below -13. I'm not to sure the unit can handle the hot south either, but right now I don't have to worry about that.

All in all I think many of these manufactures need to get off their asses and visit the rest of the USA to see how their products are used. Apple is another company that needs to make sure their devices can operating in the same environments the owners of their products work and live in. As it is a product that can't operate below -13 outside would be marginal or completely useless for weeks at a time around here in the winter.
      I actually thought the exact same thing... This product would be an ice cube from our last winter here in Wisconsin. Perhaps it's only been tested in -13?

Comment

Isn't that -25 to + 45 Degrees Celcius?

While -25 isn't anything to worry about here in Aus, the +45 could quite easily be exceeded at times during summer, especially depending where the camera is situated, and if it ends up in a place with little wind, or too much sunlight.

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
          Isn't that -25 to + 45 Degrees Celcius?

While -25 isn't anything to worry about here in Aus, the +45 could quite easily be exceeded at times during summer, especially depending where the camera is situated, and if it ends up in a place with little wind, or too much sunlight.
          Useless to me too. I'm about an hour and a half north of Toronto, Ontario, which is at roughly the same latitude as Wisconsin and, while we don't get prairies cold here, some years do cause the temperature to spike down to -30?C for a day or two.

Comment

Another Wisconsinite here... I can definitely agree that -13 isn't quite cold enough for last winter, although it's acceptable for most of our average winters.

The thing that kills it for me is that this one doesn't seem to have remote pan/tilt controls. My wife and I are looking for a decent WIFI camera with microphone, pan/tilt and possibly zoom controls that can be accessed via either browser or smartphone. IR is preferred as well. We're thinking of pairing something like this with a set of audio monitors for checking in on the nursery (where the temperature and power cord limits aren't as important).

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
              I actually thought the exact same thing... This product would be an ice cube from our last winter here in Wisconsin. Perhaps it's only been tested in -13?
              It would be nice but a lot of electronics come to a hard stop if operated outside their specified range. Apples iOS devices are one example and to an extent I can understand why they do that because of the battery. You would think that a surveillance device like this would have AC power so the battery won't be an issue.

Honestly though this device reminds me of those fluorescent lights that don't operate in the cold. Even if they are described as "outdoor lamps".

In any event it does make you wonder which chip or part is limiting overall operating range.

Comment

I'm not sure the minimum temperature actually has much to do with the electronics themselves but rather the battery. As far as I'm concerned, there are no components inside the camera that would be damaged by the coldness. I think the maximum temperature is more realistic but still pretty low. In a hot country like Australia, you could always put the camera in a shaded area and I'm sure it'd be fine.

Find a place to power the camera without a battery and I'm sure it'll run at a range of -50 to 85 celcius. Most electronics are pretty tolerant of extreme temperatures, its things like electrolytic capacitors, batteries, motors, and transistor-dense parts that get affected most and even then, it takes a LOT of heat to hurt some of these things.

Comment

Working...
                X