SystemD/Lennard Pottering hate thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SystemD/Lennard Pottering hate thread

Why is every linux distro in existence switching to systemd? Is there something I'm missing here? It's bloated and unnecessary. Who gives a shit if you start everything in parallel? For that matter, who even reboots if they're not upgrading the kernel? I mean look at this shit:

Email program? Writing their own C library? What the actual fuck people, how are you letting this happen?

Systemd's development is following an eerily similar path to xorg. Design something to handle a problem, but make it monolithic and non-interchangable. Soon we'll have more and more stuff built on top of it, people will find problems, but it becomes increasingly hard to fix, until an entirely new paradign is needed to replace the fucking blob of insecure shit.
    Last edited by lolnope; 05 March 2014, 08:37 PM.

Looks like it was a April fool's joke by lennard
    Apologies for creating a thread about this
    Michael could you delete this please?

Comment

The scary part is that it could actually be true.

Comment

Who cares what the init system is. If the machine boots up and works, I don't give a damn.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          The scary part is that it could actually be true.
          The sad part is that some people actually thought it was true.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Who cares what the init system is. If the machine boots up and works, I don't give a damn.
            I care. I won't give such an essential part of my systems into the hands of developers with a track record like Poettering and Sievers have. If I can't trust the developers I can't trust their software, simple as that.

Comment

Got to wonder if Lennart Poettering will stop by to post on a "Lennard Pottering" hate thread?

Maybe he'll decide that systemd needs a new set of international dictionaries prior to replacing glibc, since no one can even spell his name correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Who cares what the init system is.
                You must be new here...

Comment

Originally posted by lolnope View Post
                  Looks like it was a April fool's joke by lennard
                  Apologies for creating a thread about this
                  Michael could you delete this please?
                  Hint: The 'email program' proposal is a reference to Zawinski's Law, which states that "Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can."

Comment

Originally posted by lolnope View Post
                    who even reboots if they're not upgrading the kernel?
                    I shutdown/reboot twice, some times three times a day.

If you don't like it, that's tough. Its time for you to switch to FreeBSD then. There is absolutely a need for fast booting in the Linux eco system.

(Whether or not Poettering's offerings carry merit is not my argument)

Comment

Working...
                    X