Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Web Usage Almost Doubled, Now At ~2%?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Web Usage Almost Doubled, Now At ~2%?

Phoronix: Linux Web Usage Almost Doubled, Now At ~2%?

A new report out from a major Internet advertising firm has shown the number of Linux devices almost doubling in the last quarter of 2013 and putting the Linux usage on the web at just under 2%...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Must be Valve. The main thing that kept me and a lot of other people on Windows was games. Now with humble bundle, SteamOS and Kickstarter developers are starting to really pay attention to Linux.

Comment

must be win8

i think the real reason is windows 8

Comment

I didn't get it. Is this because of Chrome OS, or is it an actual increase in number of Linux users minus the Chrome OS ones?

Comment

It's probably a combination of Steam, PRISM-breaking, and Windows 8.

Comment

Well, StatCounter disagrees and lists Linux at 1.15%, down from 1.30% from June 2013.

Comment

This headline is hilarious.

Comment

Well..

- over 50% of mobile (tablet/phone) market is dominated by Linux (android, sailfish, kindle os, maemo, meego)
                - almost 100% of low end tablet market is dominated by Linux
                - huge amount of smart watch/tv market is dominated by Linux

=> 2%

Ok.

Comment

As there is no accurate way to tell the actual market share based on user agent alone, I have issues believing these numbers since

A) There are several different services doing this, using a limited selection on different sites.
                  B) People may be disabling requests/scripts to prevent tracking from advertising firms.
                  C) Some people spoof the user agent by default.

As for a guess for if they were accurate, I personally would guess because of Google and its partners' Chromebook success.

Steam would most likely has nothing to do with an increase in GNU/Linux usage, as the vast majority of its users would stick with Windows, as they already know how to use it and that's where the vast majority of games already are.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Well, StatCounter disagrees and lists Linux at 1.15%, down from 1.30% from June 2013.
                    StatCounter "stats" are crap. Seriously.

Explain WinXP last October here:

Tracks the Usage Share of Search Engines, Browsers and Operating Systems including Mobile from over 5 billion monthly page views.

Why do I have Android here:
                    Tracks the Usage Share of Search Engines, Browsers and Operating Systems including Mobile from over 5 billion monthly page views.

but again not here:

What accounts for the rising 10% "other" in both cases?

Tell me about Win 7 last spring here:

Comment

Working...
                    X