Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Web Usage Almost Doubled, Now At ~2%?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is from people like me that have some super old Windows XP machine but now they are transitioning to Linux full time.

I think we will see the it trend continue as we get closer to XP getting shut off from security updates. Hopefully other companies trying that will see similar trends soon.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
      I think it is from people like me that have some super old Windows XP machine but now they are transitioning to Linux full time.

I think we will see the it trend continue as we get closer to XP getting shut off from security updates. Hopefully other companies trying that will see similar trends soon.
      Indeed, XP EOL might be pushing some Linux installs, I had not thought of that.

Comment

Glad to see this happening.

GNU/Linux is completely usable in an office setting, which is why our company decided to use it instead of XP or other windows operating systems which would bog down the weak office pcs. Granted that there are minor issues here and there, but overall it's usable and that's what matters most.

Comment

Yes you could say calling "Linux" GNU/Linux is not a thing, because the name was good enough and GNU stands for free software which many people dont care even maybe they belive in the idea behind the words, at least to a wide degree, but dont like maybe how rms talks or something.

But, the suggestion was never call it Freesoftware Linux, but GNU/Linux what describes that Linux is only one part of GNU, if you really think the GNU userspace is not worth to mention you could call it at least LINUX/gnu or something like that.

If you really dont care at all, there is no real way to make articles like that, that make sense, if you think Linux is the only interesting part of course you have to count in Android too. Then you have shurly 70% Linux Market dominance.

I think its interesting to track both numbers. But at least if you want do seperate Android and GNU/Linux call it that way else nobody understands your article and it makes no Sense

<- Michael

EDIT: but most likely you hope to start many different flamewars with such articles anyway so go ahead, devide and conquer!

I mean come on such Troll passages in the article that make no sense at all in such a article:

"Do you think it's due to Ubuntu's presence? "
          Last edited by blackiwid; 02-20-2014, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Canonical do silent work here. Because 'just because' Ubuntu shops are in different part of the world, would not make us underestimate its influence, right?
            Valve do loud PR work right now. (And some really heavy lifting behind the scenes) Also awesome. I can now run only Linux. (EU4/CKII/some indie sute me fine. Not much $ anyway :P )
            And Google pull off silent work IN THE FREAKING USA. Like in selling well above avrg for the industry, and above point of decline. (But advertising it too much would make people compare it to Android witch skyrocketed in usage, something Chrome OS can not hope to achieve for years to come)

So all the factors counts.

Ofc. it would be nice to know how this particular stat counter is biased. Too much USA? Too little china/india? Not enough mobile? Etc.

Comment

only detals

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              Is ChromeOS actually Linux? Yes, it uses the Linux kernel but that's not what people refer to when they say Linux. By Linux they usually mean GNU/Linux and ChromeOS is not a GNU/Linux OS.
              only details, the problem here is the marketing, most of people don t know android using linux kernel... i talk with people and when i talk about that their look to me with their stupid eyes!, and donīt believe in my word, because in their minds linux is a monster

Comment

Originally posted by Cann View Post
                As for a guess for if they were accurate, I personally would guess because of Google and its partners' Chromebook success.
                Do people somewhere really use that crap? That's odd.

Comment

i agree!

Originally posted by nll_a View Post
                  Do people somewhere really use that crap? That's odd.
                  i don t see the point of chrome OS. we cant do nothing there, its chrome nothing more

Comment

the percentage refers to about sold distributions !

Most people don't see the real fact about the percentage. The percentage in public about Linux
                    is only concerning sold distributions on the market of operating-systems ?! - or not ?!

But the percentage simply by free available downloads is much higher ! I would estimate
                    this between 5 and 10 percent today. Interesting will be, what comes up by March and April, when
                    time of Windows XP expires. Where will 40 % of Windows XP go to ?! Windows 8 still has no
                    real fall-out with sold DVDs ... normally it should be a higher percentage by now for Windows 8, but
                    many dont want to buy another Windows after 7, facing the news that Windows 9 is planned for
                    April 2015 (and it will have the codes of Trusty Thar in April 2014 ... ).

It will be really interesting until end of year 2014 for Linux, and by this year, we then know
                    how Linux will be more popular to more people than in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                      only details, the problem here is the marketing, most of people don t know android using linux kernel... i talk with people and when i talk about that their look to me with their stupid eyes!, and donīt believe in my word, because in their minds linux is a monster
                      No, the problem is not marketing, it's a technical difference. When you say Linux people expect that you can run GNU/Linux apps on it. You cannot run GNU apps neither on Android nor on ChromeOS and that's why people, rightfully, don't think of Android or ChromeOS as Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                        No, the problem is not marketing, it's a technical difference. When you say Linux people expect that you can run GNU/Linux apps on it. You cannot run GNU apps neither on Android nor on ChromeOS and that's why people, rightfully, don't think of Android or ChromeOS as Linux.
                        That's why they should tag it Google/Linux or Chrome/Linux to clarify the incompatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                          That's why they should tag it Google/Linux or Chrome/Linux to clarify the incompatibility.
                          No. GNU/Linux was invented due to RMS zealots. They didn't accept the fact that Linux and modern apps mostly replaced GNU. GNU was mostly targeted towards command line. Besides many Linux systems have majority of apps not coming from GNU and can have BSD alternatives. Likewise if Android fellows feel they did the most job, you don't need to give credit to Linux at all. They even use BSD stuff instead so there's very little GNU in Android. Probably not at all. It's definitely not GNU/Android/Linux. More like 90% Android, 10% Linux. It would just hurt their sales if someone associated good phones with neckbeards.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                            i don t see the point of chrome OS. we cant do nothing there, its chrome nothing more
                            Stick Crouton on it and add Ubuntu or Debian and you've got a cheap, full-featured Linux laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                              you don't need to give credit to Linux at all.
                              You don't need to give credit for the kernel which is the most important and most complex piece of software? Note: There is no such thing as "Linux stuff", that's called GNU (or BSD userland or Android or whatever), Linux is the kernel only.
                              So why do we name our OS like the kernel on Desktop but like the userspace on mobile?

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                                You don't need to give credit for the kernel which is the most important and most complex piece of software? Note: There is no such thing as "Linux stuff", that's called GNU (or BSD userland or Android or whatever), Linux is the kernel only.
                                So why do we name our OS like the kernel on Desktop but like the userspace on mobile?
                                The Android VM is almost like a secondary OS on top of Linux and BSD userland. You target this and not native platform. They also want you to not think about the lower levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X