Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHP 5.6 Has An Exponential Operator, New Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PHP 5.6 Has An Exponential Operator, New Features

    Phoronix: PHP 5.6 Has An Exponential Operator, New Features

    The second alpha release of the forthcoming PHP 5.6 is now available. PHP 5.6 is shaping up to be a very nice evolutionary upgrade to this popular web programming language that also works well for CLI scripting...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwNzg

  • #2
    I wonder how they can reduce memory usage by more than 100% ...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
      I wonder how they can reduce memory usage by more than 100% ...
      It's easy. If you're using PHP 5.5 and you upgrade to 5.6, the devs will buy you enough RAM to cover the negative decrease.

      Comment


      • #4
        Performance and memory improvements is the cheapest lie found in new releases, often it's a half truth - they tell you about the performance increase in one part of the software but don't tell you it happened at the cost of performance degradation in another part of it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          I wonder how they can reduce memory usage by more than 100% ...
          This is how: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/slim_post_data

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pascalc View Post
            I, for one, am inclined to hear a more in-depth analysis of the memory decrease statement there.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SevenOfMine View Post
              I, for one, am inclined to hear a more in-depth analysis of the memory decrease statement there.
              You have a link to the patch on the RFC with the explanations and you can also check that on their github repo, you can check the php-internals mailing list to read the discussion about it last summer, you can also install 5.6alpha and test by yourself since you don't trust the developers.

              Comment


              • #8
                PHP devs can't into math. News at 11.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pascalc View Post
                  You have a link to the patch on the RFC with the explanations and you can also check that on their github repo, you can check the php-internals mailing list to read the discussion about it last summer, you can also install 5.6alpha and test by yourself since you don't trust the developers.
                  Yes, and there's nothing in-depth in there. Just tautological repetition of the same stuff seen on the php.net post.

                  What I'm eager to know is how can something physical, such as memory usage, decrease over 100%? If you have say 8GiB of RAM, of which 4GiB is in use by some process. If we say the process' memory usage decreases 300%, that would mean the memory usage would decrease 12GiB despite the physical limit being 8GiB.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                    I wonder how they can reduce memory usage by more than 100% ...
                    Witchcraft.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X