Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt 5.3 Might Depend On SSE2 CPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
    People with such old processors don't use new software, so that pretty much doesn't have any negative results.
    Where the hell did you get that info from? So people with older CPUs don't use Razor-Qt or now LXDE-Qt? Also they don't use VLC or other Qt based software?
    You realize that more software than just KDE is using Qt?

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
      People with such old processors don't use new software, so that pretty much doesn't have any negative results.
      Bullshit. Specialy on Linux you are Forced to use new Software on older Systems.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        Where the hell did you get that info from? So people with older CPUs don't use Razor-Qt or now LXDE-Qt? Also they don't use VLC or other Qt based software?
        You realize that more software than just KDE is using Qt?
        Believe it or not, my old Pentium3 750MHz box (bundled with 256MB of memory and an ATI Radeon 7000) is not even capable of running a bare minimum install of Openbox with light weight set of GTK applications smoothly, don't even mention running LXDE, XFCE, etc. CPU usage goes %100 even when only trying to play music and whole system goes nearly unusable. Now you are hoping to run VLC and play HD videos too on these old farts?

        The best use that I have found for that box is a headless (home) FTP server and download manager.

        Comment


        • #14
          Backwards compatibility is a good thing, but it also slows down progress.
          Anyway, here we are talking about a change in default compiling options, and as was already mentioned, people with non SSE2 CPUs can just recompile, or use a distro that compiles the package without SSE2. Just because Qt decides to use SSE2 by default,it doesn't mean the distributions have to follow upstream.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Where the hell did you get that info from? So people with older CPUs don't use Razor-Qt or now LXDE-Qt? Also they don't use VLC or other Qt based software?
            You realize that more software than just KDE is using Qt?
            Do these apps use Qt 5?

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by siavashserver View Post
              Believe it or not, my old Pentium3 750MHz box (bundled with 256MB of memory and an ATI Radeon 7000) is not even capable of running a bare minimum install of Openbox with light weight set of GTK applications smoothly, don't even mention running LXDE, XFCE, etc. CPU usage goes %100 even when only trying to play music and whole system goes nearly unusable. Now you are hoping to run VLC and play HD videos too on these old farts?

              The best use that I have found for that box is a headless (home) FTP server and download manager.
              That doesnt not sound normal... there is probably something wrong with your board to cause that. I've see such things happen...GPU stick at 100% constantly and reboots on one of my machines I suspect bad caps since it reboots by itself after awhile but it could be irq storming or something and eventually triple faulting etc...

              I've ran openbox, KDE3, e16 etc... on my transmeta crusoe its much slower than your P3 but it still runs fine and though it pegs the CPU alot it doesn't stick there once things are done processing and it play's mp3s and FLAC fine and small avi's okish.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by siavashserver View Post
                Believe it or not, my old Pentium3 750MHz box (bundled with 256MB of memory and an ATI Radeon 7000) is not even capable of running a bare minimum install of Openbox with light weight set of GTK applications smoothly, don't even mention running LXDE, XFCE, etc. CPU usage goes %100 even when only trying to play music and whole system goes nearly unusable. Now you are hoping to run VLC and play HD videos too on these old farts?

                The best use that I have found for that box is a headless (home) FTP server and download manager.
                Sorry, but I never spoke about HD video, so don't put words ion my mouth. I run LXDE (on Salix) on an old Athlon 1.1 GHz, this systems acts as a jukebox for our party room and it works just fine with Audacity and LXDE. Before that I ran LXDE (on Debian) on an old laptop, Celeron 550 Mhz with 256MB of RAM and it also worked just fine, even Youtube videos, thanks to Minitube. If your system is running that sluggish you may have not configured it correctly or are just using a crappy distro.

                Originally posted by pingufunkybeat
                Do these apps use Qt 5?
                I have no doubt that they will transition to Qt5 some time in the future, the same way they have done from Qt3 to Qt4, but in this case with the intention to be Wayland/Mir compatible.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Distros can just compile Qt to allow older processors. This only affects people who download the binaries straight from the Qt website.
                  If that's true, then this isn't a big deal. Otherwise, requiring SSE2 for 32-bit seems a bit much.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by curfew View Post
                    The whole article seems rubbish, it's like Michael was completely drunk. Half of the writing is nonsensical gibberish.
                    What to expect from troll who's probably sponsored by apple? Now he wants to make flames against Qt.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                      That doesnt not sound normal... there is probably something wrong with your board to cause that. I've see such things happen...GPU stick at 100% constantly and reboots on one of my machines I suspect bad caps since it reboots by itself after awhile but it could be irq storming or something and eventually triple faulting etc...

                      I've ran openbox, KDE3, e16 etc... on my transmeta crusoe its much slower than your P3 but it still runs fine and though it pegs the CPU alot it doesn't stick there once things are done processing and it play's mp3s and FLAC fine and small avi's okish.
                      It's using an old ASUS P2-99 motherboard which was bundled with a Celeron 334MHz, 64MB of memory and an 8MB ATI graphics card at first. Mobo looks quite healthy and I've no idea what can be wrong from hardware side. But yeah it's still quite great for playing Doom95 or SNES games on it


                      Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      Sorry, but I never spoke about HD video, so don't put words ion my mouth.
                      Did you mean videos with dimensions only a little bigger than a match box ?


                      Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      I run LXDE (on Salix) on an old Athlon 1.1 GHz, this systems acts as a jukebox for our party room and it works just fine with Audacity and LXDE. Before that I ran LXDE (on Debian) on an old laptop, Celeron 550 Mhz with 256MB of RAM and it also worked just fine, even Youtube videos, thanks to Minitube. If your system is running that sluggish you may have not configured it correctly or are just using a crappy distro.
                      I have tried Sabayon, Mint, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora, Crunchbang and none gave a smooth desktop experience on that machine for kids. Regards to the CPU usage, no matter what software being used (CMUS, Audacity, DeadBeef, GNOME player, VLC, etc). Note that this behavior happens on Windows XP and Windows Media Player too.

                      So that made me to install Arch Linux and retire that old box. Right now kids are using a Pentium4 2.8GHz with 1GB of memory setup and are running latest versions of GIMP, Inkscape, office softwares and listening to music in background happily without any lag.


                      In conclusion, when installing modern software on ancient hardware and expecting them to run smoothly, you should be quite ballsy or willing to torture somebody.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X