Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feature-Rich Linux 3.10 Kernel Officially Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Feature-Rich Linux 3.10 Kernel Officially Released

    Phoronix: Feature-Rich Linux 3.10 Kernel Officially Released

    The Linux 3.10 kernel, which yields the biggest changes in years, has been officially released this Sunday evening...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwMDE

  • #2
    :S

    brightness control not working for me with this kernel.

    is a problem with RC version and this final too, too bad same error who was reported and not resolved

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      brightness control not working for me with this kernel.

      is a problem with RC version and this final too, too bad same error who was reported and not resolved
      Laptop model?

      Comment


      • #4
        Am I the only one that finds the kernel updates generally uninteresting?

        I guess if one is using the open source graphics drivers or maybe btrfs there's a lot happening there of significance.

        Comment


        • #5
          ?

          Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Laptop model?
          asus k56cb

          nvidia/intel

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Am I the only one that finds the kernel updates generally uninteresting?

            I guess if one is using the open source graphics drivers or maybe btrfs there's a lot happening there of significance.
            Well.... Yeah. If you aren't using USING the points of interest to kernel releases, of course you arent going to be interested. XFS and Ext4 are both in maintenance mode basically... Btrfs is the future, so if you're avoiding it for one reason or another, of course you wont care about the work affecting it.

            And if you aren't using the FOSS drivers for one reason or another (Radeon: You've got a laptop, Nouveau: you've got a new-ish card) then you won't have much interest there either...

            Read Linus' release notes, everytime what are the two biggest sources of churn in the kernel? Drivers and Filesystems. If you aren't using one or both of those, then you only care about new kernel releases for bug fixes else where.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Well.... Yeah. If you aren't using USING the points of interest to kernel releases, of course you arent going to be interested. XFS and Ext4 are both in maintenance mode basically... Btrfs is the future, so if you're avoiding it for one reason or another, of course you wont care about the work affecting it.

              And if you aren't using the FOSS drivers for one reason or another (Radeon: You've got a laptop, Nouveau: you've got a new-ish card) then you won't have much interest there either...

              Read Linus' release notes, everytime what are the two biggest sources of churn in the kernel? Drivers and Filesystems. If you aren't using one or both of those, then you only care about new kernel releases for bug fixes else where.
              Linux is basically done. There's nothing more to do.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Linux is basically done. There's nothing more to do.
                Close all the annoying edge case bugs that produce SMP kernel errors and panics. I still see them in Debian, which is also how come I see dozens of patches each release from Debian that get folded into Linux.

                Sorry, but Linux is far from done and/or bullet proof. It's getting more bloated and more unstable with each release.

                It's only compounded by the perpetual quick turnaround cycle of the user space areas and continuous stream of bugs that never manage to get fixed whether for GNOME, KDE or what not as it updates newer revisions.

                Sorry, but the entire ecosystem just isn't anywhere near as polished as it should be for Linux to become a true 3rd OS for Desktop daily consumption.

                OS X is the baseline.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Linux is basically done. There's nothing more to do.
                  That depends highly on what you use it for...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    Close all the annoying edge case bugs that produce SMP kernel errors and panics. I still see them in Debian, which is also how come I see dozens of patches each release from Debian that get folded into Linux.

                    Sorry, but Linux is far from done and/or bullet proof. It's getting more bloated and more unstable with each release.

                    It's only compounded by the perpetual quick turnaround cycle of the user space areas and continuous stream of bugs that never manage to get fixed whether for GNOME, KDE or what not as it updates newer revisions.

                    Sorry, but the entire ecosystem just isn't anywhere near as polished as it should be for Linux to become a true 3rd OS for Desktop daily consumption.

                    OS X is the baseline.
                    See if you can re-create the SMP kernel errors on upstream kernels? o.O I've used Linux for 5 years, on a large variety of hardware, and i've never seen ONE kernel panic for ANY reason.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      lucky

                      Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      See if you can re-create the SMP kernel errors on upstream kernels? o.O I've used Linux for 5 years, on a large variety of hardware, and i've never seen ONE kernel panic for ANY reason.
                      you have lucky, its rare but i already see kernel panic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                        Close all the annoying edge case bugs that produce SMP kernel errors and panics. I still see them in Debian, which is also how come I see dozens of patches each release from Debian that get folded into Linux.

                        Sorry, but Linux is far from done and/or bullet proof. It's getting more bloated and more unstable with each release.

                        It's only compounded by the perpetual quick turnaround cycle of the user space areas and continuous stream of bugs that never manage to get fixed whether for GNOME, KDE or what not as it updates newer revisions.

                        Sorry, but the entire ecosystem just isn't anywhere near as polished as it should be for Linux to become a true 3rd OS for Desktop daily consumption.

                        OS X is the baseline.
                        The software stack needs a lot of work (to put it diplomatically), but it seems like the kernel is just in maintenance mode.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OS X is the baseline.
                          OSX si the baseline only for Apple manufactured machines, this doesn't make a lot.
                          xnu is really superior to linux for power management, on other points linux is equal or do globally better.
                          I'm talking about the kernel, not the userspace applications obviously.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by johnc View Post
                            Am I the only one that finds the kernel updates generally uninteresting?

                            I guess if one is using the open source graphics drivers or maybe btrfs there's a lot happening there of significance.
                            Guess what, I'm using both!

                            Originally posted by johnc View Post
                            Linux is basically done. There's nothing more to do.
                            "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement" —Presumably Lord Kelvin
                            "Everything that can be invented has been invented." —Presumably Charles Holland Duell, US Patent and Trademark Office

                            Both of these were found to be utterly incorrect.

                            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                            I've used Linux for 5 years, on a large variety of hardware, and i've never seen ONE kernel panic for ANY reason.
                            I have seen a few. One was due to some odd interaction between the kernel, intel drivers and Skype where on video call the kernel would panic. Another one that I saw two days ago was due to a PC that didn't have enough memory and thus the kernel tried to kill itself and panicked.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                              See if you can re-create the SMP kernel errors on upstream kernels? o.O I've used Linux for 5 years, on a large variety of hardware, and i've never seen ONE kernel panic for ANY reason.
                              I can induce a kernel panic by plugging in a thumb drive and rebooting... For some reason that seems retarded to me, USB drives get detected before SATA drives, so the drive assignments for the root filesystem gets changed and the kernel responds by panicking. So every time I boot I have to make sure no drive is plugged into USB. it can be annoying.
                              Last edited by duby229; 07-01-2013, 02:00 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X