Linux 3.10 Kernel Yields Biggest Changes In Years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
    I'm talking about their graphics drivers.
    You didn't specify that, you said "hardware".

YOU SHOULD HAVE SPECIFIED

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
      One feature is missing. A pop-up that would warn "Stay away from AMD hardware!". That would teach the f%##s.
      then tell me, how do I get nvidia's driver to work with the 3.10.0 rc1 kernel?
      it tosses out an "OHMAGHERD NEW KERNEL VERSION, PANIC!" error and won't continue

Comment

Originally posted by KarateBob View Post
        then tell me, how do I get nvidia's driver to work with the 3.10.0 rc1 kernel?
        it tosses out an "OHMAGHERD NEW KERNEL VERSION, PANIC!" error and won't continue
        So easy, wait for the stable release or use nouveau or nomodesetting, very very easy

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
          So easy, wait for the stable release or use nouveau or nomodesetting, very very easy
          WHY would i want to do that? My Linux box is my gaming rig.
          I found one thread about it https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...37310/#3737310
          Last edited by KarateBob; 05-12-2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Means

Full DynTicks support
            Before was dynamic ticks on idle, now its on load too.
            Does this yield any benefits on asynchronous CPUs?
            Makes the kernel more asynchronous based than poll-based.
            Might be good on embedded devices such as smartphones and laptops?

KVM virtualization improvements
            Hope this makes KVM faster, so it gets quicker to run the Android emulator.

Improved ARM support
            Makes it more general, and has support for Broadcom BCM used in Raspberry Pi.
            So you can use a general image and run it on many boards instead of have one image per board.
            Too bad, not all of the patches for Raspberry Pi have been merged yet.
            This holds promise for the future of making ARM work more unified.

Better ARM 64-bit support
            Very important work that will be important in the future, with upcoming ARMv8 64-bit processors.
            This lays the foundation for it.

Many cryptography optimizations
            With hardware accelerated SSE, AVX, etc for many algorithms!

BCache SSD/HDD caching framework
            Boring. For people who run mixed HDD/SSD instead of real pure SSD-only.
            Might be used on cheap Linux pre-installed computers by OEMs, perhaps?

Various DRM driver changes
            UVD support for AMD cards which means hardware-accelerated video playback! Finally!
            Too bad still no re-clocking support on Nvidia cards.

Introduction of the QXL KMS driver
            Good for graphics under virtualized environments.

Comment

WHY would i want to do that? My Linux box is my gaming rig.
              I found one thread about it https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...37310/#3737310

if you wanted to play with your pc, you would have to buy a pc with intel

Comment

Originally posted by hristo.venev View Post
                I have AMD Radeon 7870 XT. With the open source drivers, every time I do something with the GPU (except using it for RAM->HDMI passthrough) it halts. Even Xorg can't start if I don't disable hardware acceleration.
                RadeonSI is only the newest generation. Everything else should work just fine.

Also, if X doesn't start, you have a bug and should report it. Any error messages? If it is an llvm assertion error you might want to do it with
                Code:
                startx &> startx.log
                because as far as I'm aware those are only printed to stderr and not to a logfile.

Comment

With a mid or high end AMD CPU, it's rare to be actually CPU limited in games (if it is the case, blame the game devs).

Comment

Originally posted by hristo.venev View Post
                    I have AMD Radeon 7870 XT. With the open source drivers, every time I do something with the GPU (except using it for RAM->HDMI passthrough) it halts. Even Xorg can't start if I don't disable hardware acceleration.
                    mmm it looks like outdated software, remember for radeonSI you need daily bleeding edge code, meaning

kernel 3.10-rc1[for UVD]
                    glamor git
                    llvm svn
                    mesa git
                    xf86-video-ati git
                    pixman git[helps]
                    cairo git [helps]
                    xorg 1.12 or better
                    libdrm git

if you are using ubuntu or derivates you need to find a PPA if you are confortable with source distros Gentoo is quite good

Comment

what are you talking about?
                      intel graphics?

Comment

overlayfs?

What about overlayfs wasn't it proposed for inclusion in 3.10?

Comment

hi, with the 3.10 kernel some videos are slowed, my pc Athlon 640 x4 kubuntu 13.04, radeon 6450.

Comment

what are you talking about?
                            intel graphics?
                            for playing with unstable kernels, you don't need any dedicate graphics, with an intel hd4000, is fine.

Comment

for playing with unstable kernels, you don't need any dedicate graphics, with an intel hd4000, is fine.
                              1) 3.10.0-rc1 is a release candidate, not "unstable" at all. Hell, I've been running release candidate kernels since December on my [b]Primary[b/] Workstation+Gaming rig and haven't had any instability at all.
                              2) I don't own any intel cpus, haven't since my atom died, my pentium e4300 was outdated, and my P3-550MHz Katmai was retired.
                              3) I like to game. I also own SSDs and other cutting-edge hardware. Why would I want to be stuck in 2012 (or 1979 without a GUI)?

im guessing http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liip8z3epZ1qc6zo9.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                                That pop-up should warn the intel users that the scheduler does not work well with hyperthreaded cores.
                                That means that there are heavy threaded applications assigned to virtual cores which makes the cpu running 24/7 on turbo mode, thus making the cpu a fryer.

My 4c/8t intel suffers less heat on win7 with debian or kali or backtrack in a virtual machine.
                                There are options to control that. By using the HT on one core it can shut down the other three cores, which can save power. Or in some cases improve performance by allowing high levels of turbo.

If you don't like using turbo then you can set the maximum allowed clock speed to a lower value. It is one of the files under /sys/devices/system/cpu I am pretty sure.

If you'd like to spread the jobs around the cores mess with:
                                'sched_smt_power_savings' tunable under /sys/devices/system/cpu/
                                controls the multi-threading related tunable. By default, this is set to
                                '0' (for optimal performance). By setting this to '1', under light load
                                scenarios, the process load is distributed such that all the threads in
                                a core and all the cores in a processor package are busy before
                                distributing the process load to threads and cores, in other processor
                                packages.
                                And finally, if your CPU cannot take the heat of running at full load or at full turbo then your cooling system is inadequate and you should fix it. Intel CPUs will control themselves and not burn out unless you disabled the thermal protection system somehow so really that should not be a problem. I even seem to recall an article about running an Intel 3770 with a small heatsink and no fan, just to show that it is possible. Worked fine except for slowing itself down quite a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X