Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Gets Ready With VP9 Codec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Google Gets Ready With VP9 Codec

    Phoronix: Google Gets Ready With VP9 Codec

    Google is almost finalized with the VP9 codec, the successor to the increasingly-used VP8 codec...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3MDA

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Google Gets Ready With VP9 Codec

    Google is almost finalized with the VP9 codec, the successor to the increasingly-used VP8 codec...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3MDA
    Now will they finally put their foot down and kill off Flash and their Pepper API? Beat H.265 to market and force all Android phone makers to support it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      Now will they finally put their foot down and kill off Flash and their Pepper API? Beat H.265 to market and force all Android phone makers to support it.
      i have the suspicion that the main problem with the adoption of vp8 is HW acceleration. And this shouldn't be the case with vp9 if google wants it to succeed.

      Comment


      • #4
        Lawsuits

        Expect VP9 patent lawsuits by trolls who;
        A) want free money for doing absolutely nothing
        B) stall the project and attempt to kill it by creating FUD

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          Now will they finally put their foot down and kill off Flash and their Pepper API? Beat H.265 to market and force all Android phone makers to support it.
          exactly.
          So, they said YouTube is going to use VP9. Um.... how exactly? YouTube supports WebM, which is VP8 and Vorbis. Unless they extend WebM to allow multiple codecs, or release WebM2.....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
            exactly.
            So, they said YouTube is going to use VP9. Um.... how exactly? YouTube supports WebM, which is VP8 and Vorbis. Unless they extend WebM to allow multiple codecs, or release WebM2.....
            WebM is a container flexible enough and was designed to support multiple codecs since Google has been planning to update VP8 all along. This will happen as VP9 gets finalized. No need for WebM2.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Expect VP9 patent lawsuits by trolls who;
              A) want free money for doing absolutely nothing
              B) stall the project and attempt to kill it by creating FUD
              there will be probably not any patent lawsuit from MPEG LA: xiphmont.livejournal.com/59893.html

              Nokia could make trouble with this patent though: http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...1B1&KC=B1&ND=4

              Damn even in Europe we have stupid software patents

              Comment


              • #8
                It's too damn early to freeze it.

                VP9 must be made better than H.265, otherwise the point of its existence is so moot Google had better not release it at all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  i have the suspicion that the main problem with the adoption of vp8 is HW acceleration. And this shouldn't be the case with vp9 if google wants it to succeed.
                  They have HW already for vp8. I think nvidia already built it into their mobile chips. And I'm pretty sure other chipmakers are about to ass well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    It's too damn early to freeze it.

                    VP9 must be made better than H.265, otherwise the point of its existence is so moot Google had better not release it at all.
                    Doesn't matter if its 1-2% better compression, 1-2% better quality, or 1-2% faster compression or decompression.

                    It doesn't have to be technically superior. Both VP9 and H.265 are likely so good that the difference will be marginal.

                    What is important is that it is freely available and open and royalty-free and standardized.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                      Now will they finally put their foot down and kill off Flash and their Pepper API? Beat H.265 to market and force all Android phone makers to support it.
                      IIRC any programmable DSP that can support H.264 can also accelerate WebM. And almost all Android devices have a DSP that can accelerate H.264.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Let me know when libvpx encode performance isn't absolutely pathetic. I was hoping to use HTML5 video for a realtime streaming application, but the MP4 container is a piece of crap and can't be stream encoded, and libvpx performance is so bad that maxing an IVB i7 results in blocky unwatchable crap with a realtime deadline. Until they fix performance, flash is sadly still the only option for on-the-fly encodes, and libx264 is still absolutely light years ahead in terms of performance and output quality per CPU cycle.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by pdffs View Post
                          Let me know when libvpx encode performance isn't absolutely pathetic. I was hoping to use HTML5 video for a realtime streaming application, but the MP4 container is a piece of crap and can't be stream encoded, and libvpx performance is so bad that maxing an IVB i7 results in blocky unwatchable crap with a realtime deadline. Until they fix performance, flash is sadly still the only option for on-the-fly encodes, and libx264 is still absolutely light years ahead in terms of performance and output quality per CPU cycle.
                          MP4 container? WebM is based off Matroska.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pdffs View Post
                            Let me know when libvpx encode performance isn't absolutely pathetic. I was hoping to use HTML5 video for a realtime streaming application, but the MP4 container is a piece of crap and can't be stream encoded, and libvpx performance is so bad that maxing an IVB i7 results in blocky unwatchable crap with a realtime deadline. Until they fix performance, flash is sadly still the only option for on-the-fly encodes, and libx264 is still absolutely light years ahead in terms of performance and output quality per CPU cycle.
                            a. you are trolling
                            b. you doing it wrong [TM]
                            c. you are using really old software
                            d. you hit some really nasty bug

                            yes x264 is awesome too

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                              MP4 container? WebM is based off Matroska.
                              Which is another NIH issue. Why the hell Google could not simply use MKV is beyond my understanding.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X