Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical's Bazaar Still In Stagnant State

Phoronix: Canonical's Bazaar Still In Stagnant State

With Canonical allocating its resources elsewhere, the Bazaar revision control system has fallen stagnant...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think mozilla still uses bzr

They originally picked it because it was more windows friendly than git.

Comment

If the system is finished and working why any more commits? If it's not broken don't fix it.

Michael is now officially on anti-Canonical vendetta.

Comment

When you have Git and Mercurial, Bazaar is simply redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          They originally picked it because it was more windows friendly than git.
          Do they? I thought Mozilla used mercurial (Could be wrong though)
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Do they? I thought Mozilla used mercurial (Could be wrong though)
            Yep. Mozilla uses Mercurial and not Bzr.

Comment

On related topic, Kiln (from Fog Creek / Stack Overflow guys) announced support for parallel Hg and Git repos. So every repo can be accessed with either Hg or Git clients. Sounds to me like a migration path from Hg to Git for their users.

The team at Fog Creek is releasing a major new version of Kiln today. Kiln is a distributed version control system. One of the biggest new features is Kiln Harmony, which lets you operate on Kiln r…

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by quenlinlom View Post
                  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
                  In this case it seems to be just "Don't fix it!"
                  Bazaar helps people collaborate on software development, by recording the history of the project, providing an easy means to copy the history around, and making it easy to merge changes between projects. Bazaar is the main version control system used by Launchpad, a project of Canonical, and part of the GNU System. To find out more about Bazaar, join us in #bzr on irc.freenode.net, write to us at ..., or see the web page below. Bazaar offers Ubuntu users three PPAs: * Official releases a...

2081 open bugs
                  212 high importance bugs

Comment

Not redundant

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
                    When you have Git and Mercurial, Bazaar is simply redundant.
                    Bazaar has some important features:
                    - Serverless operation. All you need to make a public repository is an SSH or FTP account. (Hg apparently also has this.)
                    - Centralized mode and bound branches. You can still have a centralized repository like in SVN and work in branches on major features, which is actually the most useful model to the vast majority of projects.
                    - Commands which are understandable to the average human. Git requires several aliases to approach sensible behavior, encourages partial commits of uncompiled, untested code, and silently commits merges if there are no text conflicts (great recipe for breaking the build). Trying to learn Git commands from the manual is an impossible task. For example, "git push" is describes as "Update remote refs along with associated objects" - what the f*** is this supposed to mean???

Bazaar is IMO the best tool to use in environments such as scientific programming, where the collaborators are not willing to spend a week learning how to use Git without accidentally destroying their work, and you might have no control over your server.

Comment

Working...
                    X