Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F2FS Benchmarks From USB Flash Storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • F2FS Benchmarks From USB Flash Storage

    Phoronix: F2FS Benchmarks From USB Flash Storage

    Up to this point on Phoronix there have been F2FS benchmarks -- the new Linux file-system designed by Samsung as the Flash-Friendly File-System -- in the context of solid-state storage benchmarking against various other Linux file-systems and also tests done from SDHC storage. In this article are our first tests when benchmarking F2FS from a USB 3.0 flash drive and comparing the performance to other open-source Linux file-systems.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18528

  • #2
    Michael, why no FAT or NTFS benchmarks? Really the only filesystems on a traditional USB should be

    FAT (or exFat if its over 4GB), and thats for interoperability
    NTFS if its an external HDD via USB. Again for interoperability.
    Or if you only use Linux...F2FS. (Ext4 if you dont trust F2FS yet.)

    So we're kind of missing 2 out of the 4 filesystems for this >.>

    Comment


    • #3
      Fat?

      It would be nice to see how f2fs compares with vfat since that is what normally gets used on usb flash drives.

      Comment


      • #4
        does anyone know how to format your ssd to f2fs and install root ubuntu on it ?
        would be very nice to see the results of it too.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
          It would be nice to see how f2fs compares with vfat since that is what normally gets used on usb flash drives.
          Lets just hope that Samsung goes "all in" on F2FS and releases drivers for Windows and MacOSX to ultimately replace FAT-based file systems in their devices (cameras, tablets, phones, TVs ...). If one major player starts breaking the unhealthy reliance of FAT, the world will be a better place.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
            It would be nice to see how f2fs compares with vfat since that is what normally gets used on usb flash drives.
            The factory formatted vfat fs on flash drives is optimized for the internal geometry of the flash device. A fair test (also when tested against the other Linux filesystems) would be to use flashbench to determine the internal geometry then use that information with mkfs since AFAIK that's the intended usage of F2FS.

            Comment


            • #7
              Introduction to F2FS from the LKML:

              http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/li...1.1/01194.html

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rusty View Post
                does anyone know how to format your ssd to f2fs and install root ubuntu on it ?
                would be very nice to see the results of it too.
                Assuming /dev/sda is your SSD with one partition. I gave it '-o 3' since I assume your SSD is at least 32GB (which is pretty big).

                Code:
                mkfs.f2fs -l f2fsonssd -o 3 /dev/sda1
                Start Ubuntu installation in text-mode (server CD) and point it to /dev/sda1 and tell it to use it as '/' (root) without formatting.

                All the rest is the same.

                But what kind of results would you expect? There is no installation benchmark or anything.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  Assuming /dev/sda is your SSD with one partition. I gave it '-o 3' since I assume your SSD is at least 32GB (which is pretty big).

                  Code:
                  mkfs.f2fs -l f2fsonssd -o 3 /dev/sda1
                  Start Ubuntu installation in text-mode (server CD) and point it to /dev/sda1 and tell it to use it as '/' (root) without formatting.

                  All the rest is the same.

                  But what kind of results would you expect? There is no installation benchmark or anything.
                  I've got 180gb ssd currently using linux mint 14 with ext4 I've read that f2fs is better for ssd kind. I guess I would expect it to be fast and stable
                  Do you know how to install linux mint 14 if I format it with f2fs ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rusty View Post
                    I've got 180gb ssd currently using linux mint 14 with ext4 I've read that f2fs is better for ssd kind. I guess I would expect it to be fast and stable
                    Do you know how to install linux mint 14 if I format it with f2fs ?

                    If you can't manage to know how to do it, maybe better to wait. This FS is too new for novices.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Flash Voyager

                      Michael, I hope you have better luck with your USB stick than I did. I had two of these die on me before I gave up on them. I've found the Patriot SuperSonic Xpress 32G to perform really well.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        FAT, exFAT and NTFS

                        Michael,

                        I agree with Ericg. It would be nice to see benchmarks including FAT, exFAT, and NTFS if possible (or even where they fall down).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gordy View Post
                          Michael,

                          I agree with Ericg. It would be nice to see benchmarks including FAT, exFAT, and NTFS if possible (or even where they fall down).
                          In terms of FAT, most of the disk benchmarks don't run on FAT. In terms of exFAT, there is no mainline kernel driver.
                          Michael Larabel
                          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            In terms of FAT, most of the disk benchmarks don't run on FAT. In terms of exFAT, there is no mainline kernel driver.
                            Yes, but ubuntu has support for exFAT.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              In terms of FAT, most of the disk benchmarks don't run on FAT. In terms of exFAT, there is no mainline kernel driver.


                              you are stubborn as a mule, everyone wants to see F2FS vs exFAT

                              go to windows and format an exfat usb key or download the ubuntu driver


                              how hard is that, ffs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X