Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java JDK 8 Gets Delayed Due To Project Lambda

Phoronix: Java JDK 8 Gets Delayed Due To Project Lambda

A feature-complete version of the Java Development Kit (JDK) 8 has been delayed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope Java 8 is good

I hope Java 8 is better than Java 6 and Java 7.

I haven't used Java 7 yet, since Java 6 is used for Android development.
    But Java 6 sucked.

Luckily, Java 7 has gotten better with improved type interference and strings in switches.

I hope Java 8 gets even better, I think it will support better exception handling with multi-catch statements.

I really hope Java 8 improves a lot, because C# / .NET is superior to Java 6.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

But Java 6 sucked.

Luckily, Java 7 has gotten better with improved type interference and strings in switches.

I hope Java 8 gets even better, I think it will support better exception handling with multi-catch statements.

My impression is that Java 8 will be able to compete with .Net since what I have seen from project lambda is very beautiful and powerful

But what do you mean by multi-catch statements?
      In java 7 they do support this:

Code:

try{
      //Some stuff
      }catch(Exception1 | Exception 2){
      // Some other stuff
      }

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
        My impression is that Java 8 will be able to compete with .Net since what I have seen from project lambda is very beautiful and powerful

But what do you mean by multi-catch statements?
        In java 7 they do support this...
        Yes, I meant those multi-catch statement from the code you posted.
        Oh yeh, it was already implemented in Java 7.

Well, its good that Java 7 improved Java much because Java 6 sucked.
        I hope Java 8 further improves Java and makes it more competitive with C# / .NET.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

But Java 6 sucked.

C# has more language features than Java, but neither C# or Java are remotely competitive with say F# or Scala in the respective ecosystems. If you want an elegant, well designed language, and are willing to go through a learning curve, either of those should be at the top of your list.

The other big difference between JVM and .NET is JVM is a highly open, decentralized, community, while .NET is more of a walled garden that is more tightly controlled by a single entity. JVM probably offers more choice, variety, and innovation, while .NET offers more simplicity, and less of a learning curve.

Comment

Working...
          X