EXT4 Still Leads Over Btrfs File-System On Linux 3.8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Sure, but you're replying to the wrong person. I was just pointing out that "a user" was generalising things, and even in the wrong direction. Of course there are circumstances where you might need EXT4, that's why it exists. But saying that the vast majority of users are using SSDs and require faster speed over data integrity is clearly not right.
    No, I was responding to your comment NOT a user's comment.

it is quite silly to say EXT4 exists for (your) said reasons. Btrfs isn't even a 'production' file-system and is piss-pot slow. (and ask yourself; which is in wider use, and why is that? ~ and no, it's not just because btrfs is newer, it hasn't proved itself to be a viable replacement yet). I didn't get the impression that a user's comment was SSD exclusive (although he can correct me if i am wrong), because HDD tests would also show EXT4 wiping the floor with btrfs too. The fact is btrfs (while very promising) isn't ready for prime-time, so this is not really a case where EXT4 is there just as an option for those who need the performance.

cheerz

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
      it is quite silly to say EXT4 exists for (your) said reasons. Btrfs isn't even a 'production' file-system and is piss-pot slow. (and ask yourself; which is in wider use, and why is that? ~ and no, it's not just because btrfs is newer, it hasn't proved itself to be a viable replacement yet).
      And where did I say that most people prefer Btrfs? No, I was saying that looking at whether one or the other system is faster without looking at the features is not what should be done. Using one or the other depends on what the person needs, and it's not just speed.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        And where did I say that most people prefer Btrfs? No, I was saying that looking at whether one or the other system is faster without looking at the features is not what should be done. Using one or the other depends on what the person needs, and it's not just speed.
        You do realize that i never made any comment about you saying 'most people prefer btrfs', right? ~ So why are you asking me 'where you said that'?? (that makes no sense dude).... and the second part of your comment I agree with and in no way did i say anything to the contrary.

Comment

compression

As a note, might be nice to mention that btrfs + compression can still be faster, in your benchmarks, viz: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...10_btrfs&num=2

Comment

Working...
          X