Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D-Bus Implementation Aiming For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • D-Bus Implementation Aiming For The Linux Kernel

    Phoronix: D-Bus Implementation Aiming For The Linux Kernel

    Greg Kroah-Hartman has confirmed he is working on an implementation of D-Bus for merging into the mainline Linux kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5NzE

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Greg Kroah-Hartman has confirmed he is working on an implementation of D-Bus for merging into the mainline Linux kernel...
    Evil Cabal!

    Lets see how long it will take the usual "platform independent" crowd to figure out this is linux-only. And thus; MUST be hated and abstracted.
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      We need to merge Gnome, systemd, ... into kernel and make Linux even more bloated.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LightBit View Post
        We need to merge Gnome, systemd, ... into kernel and make Linux even more bloated.
        Thats a little extreme considering the kernel already has a message-routing system. This is meant to be replace said system.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LightBit View Post
          We need to merge Gnome, systemd, ... into kernel and make Linux even more bloated.
          It sounds funny in BSD guy mouths. This approach will make Linux closer to BSD when comes to having core not spread in the wilds. Merging things like dbus will simplify other things a lot and I hope they'll do something similar with glibc or even systemd. BSD is bloated, because it can't even run on mobiles and it's slower. And such approach will make Linux more feature rich, so you can't really compare it to BSD when comes to such aspect of bloat, because you have to add dbus equivalent to BSD first.
          Last edited by Pawlerson; 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            It sounds funny in BSD guy mouths. This approach will make Linux closer to BSD when comes to having core not spread in the wilds. Merging things like dbus will simplify other things a lot and I hope they'll do something similar with glibc or even systemd. BSD is bloated, because it can't even run on mobiles and it's slower.
            I'm not really "BSD guy".
            They are not merging it into same tree (like BSDs have), but into kernel space.
            BSD is less bloated than Linux, of course it has less features too. BSD can run on small devices. Yes, it's usually little slower, because it's less optimised (bad SMP).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              And such approach will make Linux more feature rich, so you can't really compare it to BSD when comes to such aspect of bloat, because you have to add dbus equivalent to BSD first.
              Funny, you are comparing it to BSD.
              BSD has dbus equivalent, it's dbus daemon (like Linux has now).
              Bloat in kernel space is much worse than in user space.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                Funny, you are comparing it to BSD.
                BSD has dbus equivalent, it's dbus daemon (like Linux has now).
                Bloat in kernel space is much worse than in user space.
                But this is not bloat, but something needed. I think it will make everyone's life easier (if Linus won't burn this idea with fire).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Could this replace Binder (on Android)...?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    But this is not bloat, but something needed. I think it will make everyone's life easier (if Linus won't burn this idea with fire).
                    Why? dbus daemon works. This will only make dbus little faster.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X