Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Console Is Being Killed Off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
    Sometimes, when you find the code you're looking at is "too hard to understand" it means that you're too stupid to muck with it, and should leave it TF alone and go do something else with your time.
    NO NO NO NO NO

    If you have been hired by a professional corporation and you are getting paid to write the code (I presume I am talking to a basement dweller by your ignorance) then YOU ARE NOT TOO STUPID.

    You have CLEARLY never actually put your fingers into someone else's complex code. Man I gotta say I would give you a good swift kick in the nads if we were speaking in person because you are just SO STUPID.

    You are just UNAWARE of the software authoring process. Developers on projects come and go. Some of them leave good maintainable code behind. Some leave undocumented messes. But if you are on the team and you have resources of other developers at your disposal, you work with them to understand the odd code. And THEN after you have looked at the code and your comrades have looked at the code and you ALL throw up your hands in despair, then it is THE CODE that is the problem, not the developer.

    Hey YOU can pretend that developers work in a vacuum. You can pretend that they don't work together. You can pretend that professionally hired and paid developers are "stupid". And you can GO TO HELL for your arrogant stupidity.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
      NO NO NO NO NO

      If you have been hired by a professional corporation and you are getting paid to write the code (I presume I am talking to a basement dweller by your ignorance) then YOU ARE NOT TOO STUPID.

      You have CLEARLY never actually put your fingers into someone else's complex code. Man I gotta say I would give you a good swift kick in the nads if we were speaking in person because you are just SO STUPID.

      You are just UNAWARE of the software authoring process. Developers on projects come and go. Some of them leave good maintainable code behind. Some leave undocumented messes. But if you are on the team and you have resources of other developers at your disposal, you work with them to understand the odd code. And THEN after you have looked at the code and your comrades have looked at the code and you ALL throw up your hands in despair, then it is THE CODE that is the problem, not the developer.

      Hey YOU can pretend that developers work in a vacuum. You can pretend that they don't work together. You can pretend that professionally hired and paid developers are "stupid". And you can GO TO HELL for your arrogant stupidity.
      You CLEARLY don't know what you're talking about, since you have no idea how much code I have or haven't written.

      You also seem to be laboring under multiple other false impressions.

      1) Not everything in life is easy. Nobody said that all code will or should be easy to understand. (Just like not all code is easy to write.) The fact is, some things really are hard, period.

      2) A single gifted programmer can do the work of tens of average developers. But no amount of average developers can ever do what a single gifted programmer can do.

      The fact that you're professionally hired and paid says nothing about your skill. Focus on pay only says that you are a prostitute, as opposed to an actual practitioner of an art.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
        You CLEARLY don't know what you're talking about, since you have no idea how much code I have or haven't written.
        your coding skills are irrelevant - it's CLEAR that you don't do professional hired development ...
        1) Not everything in life is easy. Nobody said that all code will or should be easy to understand.
        quite the contrary
        in fact, "write working, but first of all simple and understandable code (possibly readable as plain english) - KISS!" is the first thing they usually tell you when you first join a team (if you dont already know it)
        usually followed by "dont do microoptimization, focus on the algorithm and the design first" and the coding conventions and practices (involving writing documentation - lots of it) you WILL have to follow... if you want to retain your job and even see your code compile, that is
        a checkstyle pass is usually in place to ensure all code conforms to project-wise criteria and metrics (thus if some method or variable has a non conforming name, or is too long or has a too high cyclomatic complexity, the build process fails, ie the build is broken, and you're the one who's broken the build),
        but more importantly, you're usually told that the whole team is responsible for the whole codebase - this means that you have to be able to understand any of your teammates' code as if it were yours, and any of teammates will have to be understand yours as it it were his/hers, so there should be no code "popping out" due to a particular specific style, instead project code shall have "its own" uniform style
        otoh, due to this, if you understand your teammates' code but they're not able to understand (and maintain) your code as theirs, it means you havent done enough to conform to achieve uniform clarity - thus it's also your fault
        2) A single gifted programmer can do the work of tens of average developers.
        doesnt matter at all when/if the lone uber-programmer goes his own way, producing code that works but is not easily understandable, is (like all fresh code) possibly buggy (but being obscure or convoluted is hardly debuggable) and is not documented - at which point other developers ("average" ones) developers are tasked with auditing and debugging his code
        at which point they may decide it's better /effective /future proof to revert and rewrite it that spend longer trying to sort it out...
        The fact that you're professionally hired and paid says nothing about your skill. Focus on pay only says that you are a prostitute, as opposed to an actual practitioner of an art.
        get off your high horse, please, and consider that in the above no money is involved - it's only about professionalism in being a team developer

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
          The fact that you're professionally hired and paid says nothing about your skill. Focus on pay only says that you are a prostitute, as opposed to an actual practitioner of an art.
          It says that your skills are high enough so that someone would spend money to have you use them for him. So, yes, it tells something about your skills. Much more so than being a random forum member, for example. Or than doing it for any given motive, including "the art".
          In fact, you can also assume that a better paid prostitute is likely a better one at it

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
            You CLEARLY don't know what you're talking about, since you have no idea how much code I have or haven't written.

            You also seem to be laboring under multiple other false impressions.

            1) Not everything in life is easy. Nobody said that all code will or should be easy to understand. (Just like not all code is easy to write.) The fact is, some things really are hard, period.

            2) A single gifted programmer can do the work of tens of average developers. But no amount of average developers can ever do what a single gifted programmer can do.

            The fact that you're professionally hired and paid says nothing about your skill. Focus on pay only says that you are a prostitute, as opposed to an actual practitioner of an art.
            Wow, you REALLY aren't doing yourself any favors are you?

            "Nobody said that all code will or should be easy to understand"

            Yeah TELL US MORE about your strategy of leaving unmaintainable code in the product. Tell us more about how that works in real life. Oh that's right, you can't because you are just shooting poo out of your ass.

            Some of us feed and house our families with the money we make from software development. If you think that is being a "whore" then I've got another swift kick in the balls for you.
            Last edited by frantaylor; 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM.

            Comment


            • #51
              I'm really tired of this web site and the losers who suck the air out of every discussion

              Whenever there's a story about progress in Linux, a whole bunch of neanderthals show up, talking about the good old days and their serial consoles and why Linux needs to meet their needs while ignoring everyone else's.

              It's all just too funny because they can just keep the desktop they already have, nobody is forcing them to upgrade or change or anything, and they get all indignant because they are the apparent victim in a vast conspiracy to make life more difficult for them. Yes they could just install centos or some other stable distribution and be happy, but no, they demand the latest and greatest and then they freak when the latest and greatest is not compatible with their old notions.

              And then there is the very special brand of loser who thinks that people should devote their lives to things and not get paid for them!

              This signal-to-noise ratio here is even worse than slashdot, and that's saying something.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by silix View Post
                your coding skills are irrelevant - it's CLEAR that you don't do professional hired development ...
                No, what's CLEAR is that you're making assumptions about someone without having any idea who you're talking to. (google could help you there...)

                I wrote code for the space shuttle. I know about large, complex projects and large development teams. Probably larger and more complex than any of you will ever get your hands on. I've had my hand in more projects, working with more teams, than most. Every one of you is probably running my code on your machine right this second. So save your lectures about professional hired development.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by cl91 View Post
                  Now. Archlinux already packages it. Link: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/c...x86_64/kmscon/

                  I have been using KMSCON as my main console since last December. The experience has been very smooth.

                  People in the west might not realize this, but this project is a huge blessing to the entire CJK community.
                  The good old linux-console is practically useless to us except as the emergency console, 'cause it has no
                  capability of displaying CJK characters. There's been various efforts within the CJK community, but none has
                  worked out well. KMSCON is the first proper solution to this problem.
                  How do you handle input? Is there ibus support for kmscon yet?

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Hermit View Post
                    How do you handle input? Is there ibus support for kmscon yet?
                    Emacs provides a rudimentary IME.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                      You really think that VESA/framebuffer always works? I guess you've been rather limited in your reading.
                      Real-world cases I've heard of:
                      -Some gfx cards (especially SIS/S3, IIRC) don't work with vesa; it loads, but you get an unuseable display.
                      With SiS it might depend on the BIOS/VBE revision (I once had two identical machines but with a different BIOS revision, and it worked on one of them but not the other).

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
                        No, what's CLEAR is that you're making assumptions about someone without having any idea who you're talking to. (google could help you there...)

                        I wrote code for the space shuttle. I know about large, complex projects and large development teams. Probably larger and more complex than any of you will ever get your hands on. I've had my hand in more projects, working with more teams, than most. Every one of you is probably running my code on your machine right this second. So save your lectures about professional hired development.
                        If what you say is true then you are an idiot and a fool for wasting your precious time on this forum. If what you say were actually true then you would be making $200/hour and you would have NO TIME for screwing around on message boards.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X