Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd Dreams Up New Feature, Makes It Like Cron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Systemd Dreams Up New Feature, Makes It Like Cron

    Phoronix: Systemd Dreams Up New Feature, Makes It Like Cron

    Lennart Poettering and Kay Sievers at Red Hat hope to work on a handful of new systemd features as part of the Fedora 19 development cycle. One of the features includes work to make systemd have its own time-based job scheduler that's similar in nature to cron...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4NTk

  • #2
    Oh, it's systemd again...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Oh, it's systemd again...

      Yeah it is. Those systemd hackers CODE and get the job(s) done while the moronix bitch crowd does nothing but .. bitch. Even though last weeks mythbuster by Lennart sure did shut a bunch of neckbeardos, nothing speaks like real code and commitment(TM).

      All your base are belong to sys'd

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        One of the features includes work to make systemd have its own time-based job scheduler that's similar in nature to cron...
        Why not simply merge cron into systemd? Why stop while you're on a roll?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Why not simply merge cron into systemd? Why stop while you're on a roll?

          Same reason they didn't merge syslog into systemd. If you dont want to use systemd's verison, you just dont use it. You just keep doing what you've always done.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Oh, it's systemd again...

            That was actually my reaction too XD I saw the article hit the top of the page and I was just like "...No. Michael...why?"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Why not simply merge cron into systemd? Why stop while you're on a roll?
              You will get the cron-replacement and a bunch more from the systemd git tree. And thats really interesting. If you decide to do like Ubuntu and go all anti-systemd then you also get the pain of maintenance. And the rest of the sane world? They will have a single tree to pull the entire core from.

              Now the idiot crowd have to revert to sanity(systemd tree) or sustain the pain and suffering from maintaining crap out of tree. Mark Shuttleworth is probably thinking about ditching upstart too. Any hour spent on core stuff outside the systemd tree is really a wasted effort.

              Comment


              • #8
                Watching the Linux/Lennart Poettering/systemd clusterfuck unfold from my FreeBSD system is...

                AWESOME.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sounds like Lennart is interested in writing a whole operating system of his own.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Sounds like Lennart is interested in writing a whole operating system of his own.
                    It's the new fad. All the cool kids are doing it: GNOME OS, Firefox OS, Android, Ubuntu OS. No Linux anywhere, or GNU for that matter. Everybody wants to be the boss in their own little pool.

                    I don't expect it to last too long, really. The Linux community has always been at its best when all major players pulled in the same direction. The best ideas from these forks will be pulled back into the major projects and Linux will continue long after Lindows and co. are gone.

                    Without trying to start another flamewar, this is the advantage we have over the BSDs. We can always merge forks back into the mainline.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                      You will get the cron-replacement and a bunch more from the systemd git tree. And thats really interesting. If you decide to do like Ubuntu and go all anti-systemd then you also get the pain of maintenance. And the rest of the sane world? They will have a single tree to pull the entire core from.

                      Now the idiot crowd have to revert to sanity(systemd tree) or sustain the pain and suffering from maintaining crap out of tree. Mark Shuttleworth is probably thinking about ditching upstart too. Any hour spent on core stuff outside the systemd tree is really a wasted effort.
                      Now, would you please explain why suddenly it is a pain to maintain the long existing cron, just because the systemd people decided to also have a version of it? And why they should maintain systemd software out of tree if they aren't using it?
                      Doesn't make much sense, as usual with fanboys babbeling around.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Unix philosophy

                        Unix philosophy is do one thing and do it well.

                        This I just read about systemd make it seems bloated and monolithic.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by johnc View Post
                          Sounds like Lennart is interested in writing a whole operating system of his own.
                          Well he hasn't reinvented the wheel yet with another kernel and GNU userland tools, but systemd is making Linux less Unix. I don't imply he's wrong, it's just a fact.
                          I'd like Canonical to ditch upstart and to switch to systemd in order to avoid having to maintain separate pieces of system core code that have almost the same functionality. But I guess that having invested so much money on it, at least a bit of NIH Syndrome applies. I like Ubuntu, but many have the impression that they're mainly packagers that unlike Red Hat, contribute mostly to their inhouse projects or write only Ubuntu-specific patches. Well, after seeing Android's and ChromeOS success, having full control of core functionality of open source components makes sense too and then community driven projects do not work so well (except in the kernel, where Linus is the great dictator that makes things work)
                          Last edited by newwen; 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                            Yeah it is. Those systemd hackers CODE and get the job(s) done while the moronix bitch crowd does nothing but .. bitch. Even though last weeks mythbuster by Lennart sure did shut a bunch of neckbeardos, nothing speaks like real code and commitment(TM).

                            All your base are belong to sys'd
                            I never hear anyone bitch about Ubuntu's Upstart, Apple's launchd, or OpenRC.

                            People only seem to be bitching about systemd.
                            Maybe there is a reason?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                              That was actually my reaction too XD I saw the article hit the top of the page and I was just like "...No. Michael...why?"
                              He's doing his job by bringing attention to the retardedness. In 5 years I wouldnt be at all surprised to see x11 wm de and web browser in sysd as well. His excuse is going to be, "its the cloud!!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X