Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Zswap Still Aiming For Compressed Swap Caching

Phoronix: Linux Zswap Still Aiming For Compressed Swap Caching

A second version of the Zswap patch-set for the Linux kernel was published this week. The Zswap patches provide compressed swap caching support to compress pages in the process of being swapped and compresses them into a dynamically allocated RAM-backed memory pool...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

TBH, I really never saw the purpose of swap-caches.
    Before you start a rant, I want to clear up that, when you have enough RAM, you don't really need a Swap-Partition.
    Moreover, it wears out SSD-drives which should be avoided. Considering memory has turned very cheap in the last few years, I myself really recommend you to just buy your 16Gb-sticks and are good to go without putting to much IO-load on your hard-drive.
    Even when you use a distribution like Gentoo, you can easily turn the Makeopts to 8 simultaneous tasks (on i7) without reaching the memory limit (only 8 Gb Max.).

Nevertheless, compressing the swap-file is a great concept and I am looking forward to what it will bring.

If you have a completely different opinion on this topic, please let me know!

Comment

This is definitely a good technology, if it works. I have no idea of the amount of code this adds to the kernel, and how critical sneaky bugs it may yield. And more code = more errors.

Also,

Some of us have laptops and cannot upgrade the memory since there aren't enough slots.
      You could always swap the old ones for bigger ones?

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        You could always swap the old ones for bigger ones?

Some (like mine) are soldered to the board, yay ultrabooks
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Can someone with some insight relate how Zswap differs from zRam? Sounds like the only difference is zSwap compresses memory as its being written to swap (if I understand correctly), while zRam uses a separate "compressed ram swap" before falling back to the standard swap...

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
            Can someone with some insight relate how Zswap differs from zRam? Sounds like the only difference is zSwap compresses memory as its being written to swap (if I understand correctly), while zRam uses a separate "compressed ram swap" before falling back to the standard swap...
            See also the comment here:

Comment

Working...
            X