Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd 197 Brings "Quite Some Cool New Stuff"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
    FreeDos is smaller than linux, this means it must be better, right? (this seems to be your implication)
    Yes, FreeDOS is better than Linux, if you don't need features missing in FreeDOS.
    However, I compared only "/lib/systemd/systemd", which has practically the same features.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      You don't need any CLA, you idiot, you just take the LGPLed/GPLed Qt code code without signing anything. Anybody can use the code and modify it without copyright assignment. Just fork it.

      How hard is that to understand?
      thumbs up ..
      Last edited by zoomblab; 01-08-2013, 04:09 PM.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Now go write a Qt patch licensed as GPL. Will digia accept it? No.
        So I'll submit it while waiving my rights to give a fuck about changing licenses.
        Is the burden coming yet?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by LightBit View Post
          Yes, FreeDOS is better than Linux, if you don't need features missing in FreeDOS.
          However, I compared only "/lib/systemd/systemd", which has practically the same features.
          Even if you consider only the core process, it still has a number of features that aren't present or as advanced as in systemd. If you are looking into using a init system that wins in size comparison, systemd may not be a great fit for you. I would note however that the core system process size depends on what options you have configured in and systemd is very flexible in that since most of the functionality can be disabled if that is what works for you.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by LightBit View Post
            Yes, FreeDOS is better than Linux, if you don't need features missing in FreeDOS.
            However, I compared only "/lib/systemd/systemd", which has practically the same features.
            Wow, it's a whole 1MB larger. Wherever will I be able to fit that monstrosity of a program on my 1TB hard drive? My phone only has 16GB of disk space, it'll really be a problem there....

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              If you want to integrate Qt into systemd, nothing is stopping you and you don't need to sign anything. That's all that you need to know.

              Whether Digia accepts your patches is not relevant to this scenario. They can continue developing it out-of-tree, like udev is being developed, if they wish to.
              Wow you are misinformed kid. Just because you are old enough to grow a neckbeard doesnt make you a hero. Here is a clue for you; udev was MERGED into systemd because it REDUCED the maintenanceburden over all. Udev is developed WITHIN the systemd tree now. Then the neckbeard crowd went mad and FORKED udev under some crazy "udevng-neckbeardcrap" label. This fork INCREASES the overall maintenance burden and FRAGMENTS the community.

              Merge: reducing maintenance burden, consolidates communities.
              Fork: increases maintensnce burden, fragments commumities.
              Capiche??

              Why on Earth should systemd fork shit like Qt now that systemd is trying to reduce overall maintenance burden and create a CoreOS? You make no sense and it seems like your point is Qt is great because you can fork. Well it is really no joy to fork, because you cant find anyone who can do it.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                Wow you are misinformed kid. Just because you are old enough to grow a neckbeard doesnt make you a hero. Here is a clue for you; udev was MERGED into systemd because it REDUCED the maintenanceburden over all. Udev is developed WITHIN the systemd tree now.
                Overall, maintenance burden was increased because a fork was inevitable. The maintenance burden was reduced for the systemd guys but increased for the community as a whole by making udev depend on systemd in a "take it or leave it" proposition, typical of walled gardens in fact. Maintenance is one thing, but intentionally breaking compatibility that people rely on is a hostile act.

                Qt community has never pulled off such a stunt. You can still use Webkit without porting everything to Qt.

                Webkit is LGPL-licensed, BTW. It's in Qt. No CLA.

                You make no sense and it seems like your point is Qt is great because you can fork.
                Free software is great because you can fork. That is the whole fucking point about it. Forking saved xorg, GCC, Emacs, and now it is saving GNOME. The ability to fork is what makes Free Software great, not psycho dictators who want total control over your system and how you use it.
                Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 01-09-2013, 07:43 AM.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Wow, it's a whole 1MB larger. Wherever will I be able to fit that monstrosity of a program on my 1TB hard drive? My phone only has 16GB of disk space, it'll really be a problem there....
                  Of course this isn't a problem. However, larger it is more chances are for bugs (very bad for pid 1) and dbus on server is stupid.
                  Last edited by LightBit; 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Even if you consider only the core process, it still has a number of features that aren't present or as advanced as in systemd. If you are looking into using a init system that wins in size comparison, systemd may not be a great fit for you. I would note however that the core system process size depends on what options you have configured in and systemd is very flexible in that since most of the functionality can be disabled if that is what works for you.
                    Can I disable dbus dependency?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                      Can I disable dbus dependency?
                      This is a frequent source of confusion in this forum apparently. systemd does not depend on the D-Bus deamon but only libdbus. If you want to remove libdbus which is a really tiny library, you would end up reimplementing IPC and probably in a buggy way.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        question for the idiots:

                        if Qt is 'evil' or a 'walled garden' because of copyright assignment and if copyright assignment itself is evil - how are you even able to use linux?

                        gtk+? copyright assignment? you bet! gcc, bash, all gnu software - copyright assignment? Of course!

                        So please do the world a favor - pull your heads out of your arses and stop posting bullshit. Thank you.

                        And whoever thinks that systemd's desire to usurp the whole system is a good thing needs his head examined. Points to think about:
                        complexity
                        bugs
                        choice

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by energyman View Post
                          gtk+? copyright assignment? you bet! gcc, bash, all gnu software - copyright assignment? Of course!
                          You'll make his head explode.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by energyman View Post
                            And whoever thinks that systemd's desire to usurp the whole system is a good thing needs his head examined. Points to think about:
                            complexity
                            bugs
                            choice
                            Complexity: Valid concern, partially defeated by systemd's modular nature (think Linux kernel modules.)
                            Bugs: Valid concern...partially defeated by modular nature.
                            Choice: Valid concern...partially defeated by modular nature.

                            Beyond core all of systemd's features are blockable via compile-time flags, even the journal. If a user is SMART enough to realize that they want to swap out a chunk of core, then they should also be smart enough to know how to compile. If they aren't then they probably shouldn't be messing around with core. I actually like the fact that systemd is bringing some continuity to the linux space.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by energyman View Post
                              gtk+? copyright assignment? you bet! gcc, bash, all gnu software - copyright assignment? Of course!

                              So please do the world a favor - pull your heads out of your arses and stop posting bullshit. Thank you.
                              Here is a clue for you; gtk+ is not some CA shit like crap-Qt. So go pull your own head out of your ass. Thank you..

                              Oh yeah and GNU is a whole different story than the commercial piece of shit software called Qt.
                              http://lwn.net/Articles/529522/

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                                Here is a clue for you; gtk+ is not some CA shit like crap-Qt. So go pull your own head out of your ass. Thank you..

                                Oh yeah and GNU is a whole different story than the commercial piece of shit software called Qt.
                                http://lwn.net/Articles/529522/
                                Have you ever developed anything, at all, in your life?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X