Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFmpeg 1.1 Brings New Support, Encoders/Decoders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FFmpeg 1.1 Brings New Support, Encoders/Decoders

    Phoronix: FFmpeg 1.1 Brings New Support, Encoders/Decoders

    Version 1.1 of the FFmpeg library was released today under the codename of Fire Flower...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2OTA

  • #2
    Pity that there still isn't any QuickSync encoding support (yes I know it is not as good as x264 but it has its uses for items like live transcoding for webstreaming).

    Comment


    • #3
      Meanwhile libav guys didn't want to be behind their arch-enemy and released version 9 of the fork.

      Comment


      • #4
        So will this allow the use of a capture card analog input that doesn't come with a hardware mpeg2 encoder? Cause I have a few of those lying around.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Pity that there still isn't any QuickSync encoding support (yes I know it is not as good as x264 but it has its uses for items like live transcoding for webstreaming).
          ffmpeg use x264 as an h264 encoder so i doubt that ffmpeg will ever support Quicksync or the encoding stuff from Amd or Nvidia


          --------------


          Does anybody know how to mux an ass subtitle with ffmpeg?
          ffmpeg -i video.h264 -i audio.aac -i subtitle.ass -acodec copy -vcodec copy -scodec copy output.mkv didnt work :/ he say he cant do anything with the subtitle. and maybe if someone can tell me how to attach and file to the mkv would be awesome. currently i do this stuff with mkvtoolnix.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            So will this allow the use of a capture card analog input that doesn't come with a hardware mpeg2 encoder? Cause I have a few of those lying around.
            Sure why not? the question is only how to choose the channel

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nille View Post
              ffmpeg use x264 as an h264 encoder so i doubt that ffmpeg will ever support Quicksync or the encoding stuff from Amd or Nvidia
              And that is a shame as for the purposes of streaming even a lowly i3 can easily encode multiple video streams realtime using quicksync and for purposes of wireless video mirroring it is pretty much a prerequisite without dropping your system to its knees.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Sure why not? the question is only how to choose the channel
                You would still have to use the v4l interface to do that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nille View Post
                  --------------


                  Does anybody know how to mux an ass subtitle with ffmpeg?
                  ffmpeg -i video.h264 -i audio.aac -i subtitle.ass -acodec copy -vcodec copy -scodec copy output.mkv didnt work :/ he say he cant do anything with the subtitle. and maybe if someone can tell me how to attach and file to the mkv would be awesome. currently i do this stuff with mkvtoolnix.
                  Not sure but check this:
                  http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/H...%20the%20video

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                    That is to burn in the subtitle. i want only to insert it in the mkv container. so everyone one can choose to use the subtitle or not. if you burn in the sub he is encoded in the videostream and cant be disabled, removed or changed. BUt thanks that you looked for it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      That is to burn in the subtitle. i want only to insert it in the mkv container. so everyone one can choose to use the subtitle or not. if you burn in the sub he is encoded in the videostream and cant be disabled, removed or changed. BUt thanks that you looked for it.
                      Ahh, ok. Out of curiosity I tried your command and it worked fine. I could choose subtitle track from vlc. What does command ffmpeg -codecs | grep "^...S" say?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                        Ahh, ok. Out of curiosity I tried your command and it worked fine. I could choose subtitle track from vlc. What does command ffmpeg -codecs | grep "^...S" say?
                        ffmpeg is build with libass and ass is available as codec and filter

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nille View Post
                          ffmpeg is build with libass and ass is available as codec and filter
                          So it has marked DES on it. Hmm can you convert it to srt: ffmpeg -i subtitle.ass subtitle.srt or does it give same error?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                            So it has marked DES on it. Hmm can you convert it to srt: ffmpeg -i subtitle.ass subtitle.srt or does it give same error?
                            srt doesn't support all the required features like animations. its currently not an big problem because i can use mkvtoolnix but it would be cool if i can do everything in one step.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nille View Post
                              srt doesn't support all the required features like animations. its currently not an big problem because i can use mkvtoolnix but it would be cool if i can do everything in one step.
                              Well yeah I could have been more precise. I did not suggest you to use .srt just try the ffmpeg command if it recognize at all your subtitle file.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X