No announcement yet.

FreeBSD/PC-BSD 9.1 Benchmarked Against Linux, Solaris, BSD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THIS thread, gentlemen ... is the very illustration of the difference between the Linux and BSD community.
    Now, back to the real life.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      For ensuring that you are going into my ignore list.
      Thanks for admitting you have no clue.

Comment

Apples and oranges - the hardware is different

This is not a valid comparison. The hardware is different.

E.g. Solaris machine has ATI RV730 PRO with 256MB of RAM, the Linux machines have AMD Radeon HD 4650 with 512MB.

Processors are different.
        Disks are different.

B

Comment

Originally posted by BillSmugg View Post
          This is not a valid comparison. The hardware is different.

E.g. Solaris machine has ATI RV730 PRO with 256MB of RAM, the Linux machines have AMD Radeon HD 4650 with 512MB.

Processors are different.
          Disks are different.

B
          Reporting differences between OSes.

FTA:
          The same Intel Core i7 3960X "Extreme Edition" system was used throughout the benchmarking process
          RV730 is the codename for 4650, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
            Nobody gives a shit about your BSD crap here.
            My BSD crap? Who ever said I used, installed, liked, or defended BSD? I am free to discuss whatever I like, here, including my like or dislike of BSD, as long as it pertains to the topic of the thread. I'm not free to troll, call others names, and tell them to "piss off" for no reason.

Why don't you take some of your own kind's advice:

Originally posted by Kill BSD
            Don't like the truth? Go fux at forums.freebsd.org, this forum is for truth not trolls (BSD).
            only instead of forums.freebsd.org, you can go to linuxforums.org...oh, wait, they have a BSD subforum too. Never mind. Though, I have to admit, at least you don't make every post about killing BSD users and gay sex like Kill BSD. I'm worried for his orientation at this rate.

Comment

Really?

RV730 is the codename for 4650, and so on.

So how come the memory is different? Reporting 256 against 512?

And different audio cards? Are you really telling me that ATI RV730 HDA, Intecl C600/X79, and Realtek ALC892 are one and the same audio card?

That sounds very dubious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by kill BSD
                the creator of pcbsd:

KRIS MOOR(ON)

THE USLESS PUNK WHICH THE WORLD IS MOST BETTER WITHOUT
                I'm going to try out PC-BSD 9.1 now. Thank you for your input it was invaluable.

I looked up Kris Moore and found a Camp KDE 2010 video on youtube. A little dated but I found his talk to be very interesting. Enough so to try out this latest release.

Comment

Well, thanks for your support then, "kill BSD".

Have fun with PC-BSD, jmcharron.

Comment

Just installed PC-BSD 9.1.
                    Had a great experience; everything went flawlessly, thanks to the KMS support for Intel's driver. The installation process is even better than some Linux distro's (Fedora). I tried Fedora last week, and it would only boot X with the VESA driver... I tried Intel and Radeon from X.org, and Catalyst, but didn't work (with Catalyst getting a segmentation fault).
                    It's quite unbelievable what these guys from PC-BSD are accomplishing, they trully seem to know what efficiency meens.
                    Give PC-BSD a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Linux anals Solaris
                      zomg, anti linux troll get crapped
                      If I'm anti-linux, why I'm using Slackware?
                      Or you mean anti linux-troll?
                      Last edited by LightBit; 12-24-2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                        Just installed PC-BSD 9.1.
                        Had a great experience; everything went flawlessly, thanks to the KMS support for Intel's driver. The installation process is even better than some Linux distro's (Fedora). I tried Fedora last week, and it would only boot X with the VESA driver... I tried Intel and Radeon from X.org, and Catalyst, but didn't work (with Catalyst getting a segmentation fault).
                        It's quite unbelievable what these guys from PC-BSD are accomplishing, they trully seem to know what efficiency meens.
                        Give PC-BSD a try.

I used the 64bit (usb image) and all I got was a black screen (after successfully detected the intel gfx), the 9.0 rc-something could boot with the VESA anyway..

Comment

Working...
                        X