Gentoo Announces Eudev Project -- Its Udev Fork

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ninez: Sorry.

@asdx: Udev is integral part of Systemd, I think Systemd will even dissolve Udev in the process. At some point maintaining all legacy burden is just slowing things down. This was already case with PulseAudio. I am with Lennart on this one, although he could have said it in much more respectable manner and asked for someone interested to fork standalone udev.

The message was simply - "I do not want to maintain all platforms, I pick only Linux". But everyone is free to update/integrate it in own ecosystems or fork it. Have BSD guys ported ZFS to Linux as part of their efforts? No. But no one on BSD side prevented ZFS on Linux from happening either.

@Thaodan:"Open source dosn't inclue honorfull acting and courage, I my opionion id woud better to work together with the BSDs guys rather than making more and ore differences between Unix-like systems."
    Why? BSD already have better system. Its called MacOSX.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 12-21-2012, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      @ninez: Sorry.
      No need to apologize Mr.Cheese, it's not your fault that 'ignore' doesn't cover quoting

I just thought i would point out how futile it can be to deal with asdx and the limitation of 'ignore list'. (i probably worded it a bit silly in retrospect though - ie: it's not like i have some expectation that just because i have put him on ignore - everyone else has..lol ). but any time he starts to show promise, like in a few cases - ie: where he seems to acknowledge that his behavior is undesirable - within a few posts <like clockwork> he goes right back to the same old crap.

but who knows, maybe asdx has been improving over the last couple of months (i wouldn't know, but his comment would suggest that most likely, he has not.)

anyway, enough of that

cheerz

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
        How is it problematic?
        Because he works for Red Hat which actually needs systemd to fix their incredibly fucked boot times.

Comment

Systemd and udev are opensource. That alone makes them different with Microsoft.
          ASP.NET MVC, NuGet, IronPython, IronRuby, etc are all under open source licenses.
          These days even Microsoft are doing some open source.

Comment

@Thaodan:"Open source dosn't inclue honorfull acting and courage, I my opionion id woud better to work together with the BSDs guys rather than making more and ore differences between Unix-like systems."
            Why? BSD already have better system. Its called MacOSX.
            OS X is not BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
              OS X is not BSD.
              OS X derives from Darwin which derives from NeXTSTEP, BSD, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                Open source dosn't inclue honorfull acting and courage, I my opionion id woud better to work together with the BSDs guys rather than making more and ore differences between Unix-like systems.
                Open source refers to a development method.
                Free software refers to an ideology that comes with ethical elements such as that it must be free as in freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  OS X derives from Darwin which derives from NeXTSTEP, BSD, etc.
                  That still does not make Darwin/MacOSX BSD... They have some pretty big differences in architecture. Plus, the bsd component is only one part of OSX's core;

https://developer.apple.com/library/...hitecture.html
                  https://developer.apple.com/library/...echnology.html

and fyi OSX doesn't derive from Darwin ~ Darwin IS at the core of the operating system, and Apple releases the source code for every MacOSX release. (PureDarwin is using an older version of Darwin (like 2-4 releases behind - possibly from the leopard days, although i could be wrong on that...)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Open source refers to a development method.
                    Free software refers to an ideology that comes with ethical elements such as that it must be free as in freedom.
                    This was not what I tried to adress, I said that they shoud help each other in developing this musn't include free software or open source.
                    '

Comment

Status

systemd: Lots of activity. Hackfest going on right now.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGx2n7aels
                      eudev: Dead after the clown show at fosdem.

Quite predicable but still very funny. Lets hope the new LSD clowns can be as funny as the now dead fork.

Comment

Working...
                      X