Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3.8 Kernel Is An Amazing Gift To Linux Users

Phoronix: The 3.8 Kernel Is An Amazing Gift To Linux Users

While we are just a few days into the Linux 3.8 kernel merge window and there's still a number of pull requests that have yet to appear for this next kernel development cycle with new features, there's already a ton of exciting work. If you missed the horde of Phoronix articles in the past few days covering the prominent features, here's a recap showing why this Linux kernel being developed over the holidays is a great gift for its users...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI1MzQ

AND, you lose power savings on Intel GPUs. You forgot about this... feature.

Comment

Any word on whether the Nouveau reclocking support changes would get in?

Comment

This is gonna be great!

These are some really good improvements! I can't wait!

Comment

Amazing gift?

Amazing gift, you say?

- Work towards true CPU hot-plug support.
          Does anyone use it actually?

- Improved ACPI power management in the never-ending battle of improving the Linux power efficiency and performance-per-Watt.
          Not visible to naked eye.

- A wide variety of XFS file-system changes.

- Continued work on 64-bit ARMv8 / AArch64 support.
          Not for desktop.

- Tons of staging driver changes.
          Not for most users.

- Support has been dropped for the old i386 CPUs to reduce the complexity of the Linux kernel.
          Don't care.

- DMA-BUF support in V4L2 so that Video 4 Linux 2 drivers may share buffers with their DRM graphics drivers in a zero-copy manner.
          ...and?

- In certain workloads, the Linux kernel now goes through a lot less system memory.
          This one may be really beneficial. But again depends on use case.

- Linux support for the Microsoft Windows 8 multi-touch protocol.
          Don't care.

- Audio driver improvements, including new sound card drivers.
          If they cut on lag - awesome. If just new cards - don't care.

- Performance improvements for cryptography on Linux.
          Don't care.

- Support for the yet-to-be-released IBM POWER8 CPUs.
          Oh lols. Is anyone actually going to use them?

- While the DRM pull request hasn't yet been submitted, there are Radeon performance improvements, various other Radeon changes, Exynos driver improvements, Intel/Nouveau changes, and much more.
          This one is interesting although most users stick to the official drivers.

Is Linux 3.8 a net positive? Absolutely. Is it an amazing gift for the majority of Linux users? No.

Comment

- Work towards true CPU hot-plug support.
            I wonder if it will be possible to turn off whole CPU, if not needed to save power (which don't do that yet anyway themselves). Will that notify and work with C-State and C-Groups etc.?

- Improved ACPI power management in the never-ending battle of improving the Linux power efficiency and performance-per-Watt.
            Cool for any user

- A wide variety of XFS file-system changes.
            I don't use it at the moment, but it is definately in many NAS drives and servers.

- Continued work on 64-bit ARMv8 / AArch64 support.
            Don't have the hardware :/

- Tons of staging driver changes.

- Support has been dropped for the old i386 CPUs to reduce the complexity of the Linux kernel.
            There were quiet a lot of changes in the menu driven config anyway, what I really like is the option in 'Intel Support' and 'AMD Support' to kick out most of the options not needed. Will this also remove this, 'blabla for older systems'?

- DMA-BUF support in V4L2 so that Video 4 Linux 2 drivers may share buffers with their DRM graphics drivers in a zero-copy manner.
            yay

- In certain workloads, the Linux kernel now goes through a lot less system memory.
            I just make sure I have enough RAM

- Linux support for the Microsoft Windows 8 multi-touch protocol.
            no care!

- Audio driver improvements, including new sound card drivers.
            I want to see e.g. USB Logitech audio speaker supported properly. This is unfortunately not a kernel driver problem but alsa

- Performance improvements for cryptography on Linux.
            Good again

- Support for the yet-to-be-released IBM POWER8 CPUs.

- While the DRM pull request hasn't yet been submitted, there are Radeon performance improvements, various other Radeon changes, Exynos driver improvements, Intel/Nouveau changes, and much more.
            yay!

Comment

I do not get the attitude displayed here - this is a significant amount of notable changes for one Kernel release, especially in such a short period of time. In that respect it certainly is an amazing gift.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                Tonnes of systems do.

Comment

Working...
                X