Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Foundation Struggles With Microsoft UEFI Signing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I read
    UEFI
    "Secure" Boot
    Microsoft
    Symantec
    Silverlight
    .net
    cabinet file
    hurdles with the 7 stage process
    in one article and suddenly I feel the urge to KILL people!

    So we're waiting for MS to sign our bootloader so maybe we can boot from the next generation of mainboards? lol.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      personally I see this as nothing to worry about. Considering how poorly Windows 8 is doing and the fact that implementing this UEFI seems to be a pain in the ass for hardware vendors, i don't think this will last. I'm sure most hardware manufacturers will just say "screw it, this isn't worth the effort and customer complaints".

      I'm sure that most people who buy a system with Windows 8 on it and intend to replace it with another OS will not be putting linux on it but probably android.
      Most people will just use it (even if it is a total mess, i think this too), there is very much to worry about.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Same here. I mean, Silverlight is pretty much discontinued, why require it to update the UEFI?
        it'S typical microsoft. stupid short sighted descisions and designs. and all done to make the life of all toher more difficult.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Microsoft up to its old tricks again.... This is why I fucking hate them. They are evil and they enjoy fucking others up. Like, just for pleasure, not always for money. I wonder what the engineers think of the management there.
          wow. i finally have something i totally agree with you!

          this makes me happy (no irony!).

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            personally I see this as nothing to worry about. Considering how poorly Windows 8 is doing and the fact that implementing this UEFI seems to be a pain in the ass for hardware vendors, i don't think this will last. I'm sure most hardware manufacturers will just say "screw it, this isn't worth the effort and customer complaints".

            I'm sure that most people who buy a system with Windows 8 on it and intend to replace it with another OS will not be putting linux on it but probably android.
            About 10 years ago I, for the sake of fun, thought how MS is going to stop GNU/Linux.

            I am very sure I did not found so elegent solution: Fill markets with computers which can't run GNU/Linux. If someone would had said that to me, I would maybe had thought that he is an idiot. It is so simple, elegant, and unimaginable 10 years ago because of many reasons.

            Now I think ANYTHING is possible by big corporations.

            Comment


            • #21
              Piss off Microsoft you dirt bags, we don't need you to decide what can and can't boot our hardware

              The Silverlight based uploader really tipped me over the edge. Take 'em to court.

              For those who haven't already seen it, look up the secret emails between Gates and other Microsoft employees that were released in the "Comes vs Microsoft" case.

              These morons have been trying to find ways to stop GNU/Linux working on PCs since mid-late '90s.

              EDIT: Here's a nice little example https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a...9449736040.png

              Also feel free to sign this FSF petition http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-...boot/statement
              Last edited by ElderSnake; 11-20-2012, 03:44 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                I am rather interested in these mails. Can you provide a link please?
                Hey BO$$, its all pretty scattered info when you google about "Comes vs Microsoft", but this blog entry: http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/ms-and-floss/

                has a fantastic compilation of the emails and various quotes by M$. It also has the links to the PDF after each entry, giving you a full look at the email threads. It's a fascinating read if you download them, I assure you. And you will see why I have such hatred for Microshaft.
                Last edited by ElderSnake; 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                  These morons have been trying to find ways to stop GNU/Linux working on PCs since mid-late '90s.
                  Like the manufacturers care for linux and its only Microsoft that fucks up the whole thing. If something cannot be solved in the kernel you are fucked when it comes to HW.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    Like the manufacturers care for linux and its only Microsoft that fucks up the whole thing. If something cannot be solved in the kernel you are fucked when it comes to HW.
                    It doesn't help when M$ come in and pay off the manufacturers to only support and advertise Windows compatibility though.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      All i see are a bunch of numbskulls whining about how it is so difficult to enter the boot menu and turn Secure Boot OFF.

                      And expecting their 'freedom' to be served to them on a sliver platter.

                      Put your money where your mouth is and buy ZaReason/System76 if you really give a damn about hardware freedom.

                      If not, STFU.
                      Last edited by Sonadow; 11-20-2012, 07:09 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                        All i see are a bunch of numbskulls whining about how it is so difficult to enter the boot menu and turn Secure Boot OFF.
                        Since you know the easy way to handle that:
                        - What do you do if the option is not available?
                        - What do you do if you want to dual boot with windows and windows only boots if that option is enabled?

                        And not everyone that switches from windows to linux in the future is going to buy new hardware to be able to turn it off...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by droste View Post
                          Since you know the easy way to handle that:
                          - What do you do if the option is not available?
                          - What do you do if you want to dual boot with windows and windows only boots if that option is enabled?

                          And not everyone that switches from windows to linux in the future is going to buy new hardware to be able to turn it off...
                          Then put your money where your mouth is and put down the cold, hard cash to purchase a Linux notebook from the likes of ZaReason or System76.

                          You want 'freedom' but are not willing to pay the price.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                            Then put your money where your mouth is and put down the cold, hard cash to purchase a Linux notebook from the likes of ZaReason or System76.

                            You want 'freedom' but are not willing to pay the price.
                            The "price" you pay on any of these companies has nothing to do with money. Products by those companies will insult the aesthetics of anyone who is not a primate.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                              Then put your money where your mouth is and put down the cold, hard cash to purchase a Linux notebook from the likes of ZaReason or System76.

                              You want 'freedom' but are not willing to pay the price.
                              So your "solution" is to throw away the perfectly working hardware and buy new stuff?
                              And where do those companies get their hardware from if every mainboard out there is secure boot locked?
                              Also switching software vendor lock-in with hardware vendor lock-in is not a solution!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                                Then put your money where your mouth is and put down the cold, hard cash to purchase a Linux notebook from the likes of ZaReason or System76.

                                You want 'freedom' but are not willing to pay the price.
                                i am not willing being illegaly and unfairly handycapped by a stealing, lying and destroying company named microsoft.

                                it is unaccaptable to be forced to do what you suggest. it is scandalous!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X