Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 1.3 Is Packing Interesting Features

Phoronix: QEMU 1.3 Is Packing Interesting Features

Released on Monday was the "RC0" development version of QEMU 1.3 for the open-source processor emulator commonly used with the Linux KVM virtualization stack...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzMjA

Faster?

I hope it is faster...

Comment

QEMU... what a beast of software!

Comment

Can't compete with Virtualbox

All those features are great, but it can't compete with Virtualbox in the most important thing: emulation speed.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          All those features are great, but it can't compete with Virtualbox in the most important thing: emulation speed.
          That would be because Virtualbox is not an emulator :P it is a virtualizer. That said QEMU also is just as fast if you have KVM (again virtualization) enabled ... the performance hit is quite minimal.

Comment

Huh? In every benchmark here on Phoronix, virtualbox has lost to KVM handily.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Huh? In every benchmark here on Phoronix, virtualbox has lost to KVM handily.
              If you are talking about I/O tests, maybe. But I'm talking about user interface latency and graphic capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                Actually, unless you're talking about graphical performance (lvmpipe only on qemu-kvm) - you couldn't be more wrong.
                Thus far Vbox CPU and IO performance are sub-par at best, placing it in a distant third after qemu-kvm and qemu-xen.

- Gilboa
                DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

Comment

My feature request for QEMU honstly is NPTL support for x86 and x86_64 for the user space emulators...
                  It's been missing for a long time it appears, and many programs don't work...

Comment

placing it in a distant third after qemu-kvm and qemu-xen.
                    Last edited by woodsmary; 11-21-2012, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X