Debating Continues Over Possible Kernel GPL Violation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    I would say with items like Chrome taking a majority of the browser marketshare and cups being the defacto printing system of choice for non-windows machines there are a lot that would disagree.
    The " ;-)" was there to indicate sarcasm. Seriously though, the amount of contributions and significance of them to other platforms is debatable. But I don't want to go into that.

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    Still Microsoft solved this by simply stating that an OSI licence will take precedence over Microsofts own licence terms in their app store, so GPL is no problem there.
    Wow, that's big.

The more I think about it, the more it looks like MS will go the way of IBM. You know, the former arch-enemy of all that's good in computing...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Actually it's the GPL's hostility to DRM that prevents it being published.
      The GPL is not hostile to DRM (contrary to what some people claim, it does not forbid the use of DRM at all), but (some) DRM is hostile to the GPL.

Apple explicitly forbids GPL'ed apps, while there is absolutely no legal reason for them to do so. They can legally release GPL'ed apps with DRM applied in their app store, as long as the apps come with an option to download their source code and installation instructions.

(If you don't believe me, you can go read the GPL yourself!)

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
        The GPL is not hostile to DRM (contrary to what some people claim, it does not forbid the use of DRM at all), but (some) DRM is hostile to the GPL.

Apple explicitly forbids GPL'ed apps, while there is absolutely no legal reason for them to do so. They can legally release GPL'ed apps with DRM applied in their app store, as long as the apps come with an option to download their source code and installation instructions.

(If you don't believe me, you can go read the GPL yourself!)
        The FSF disagrees. ZDNet has a good summary of this:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...app-store/8046

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
          The FSF disagrees. ZDNet has a good summary of this:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...app-store/8046
          That article makes it very clear that it's because of Apple's ToS that distributing GPL'ed apps is forbidden, and not because they use DRM.

Comment

Working...
          X