Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I do not want proprietary software.

I rather just use Wine which is free open source software.

Are you guys completely crazy ? sorry for being so harsh but:

1. Codeweavers is THE company behind wine developement. They employ a lot of the wine devs !
    2. The money you pay for there product is for the support and the ui they built around wine to make it easier to use
    3. They include some app specific fixes whcih are not ready for plain wine cause it has vers strict coding guidelines

Now this great company with great support gives away their work FOR FREE and you guys still complain.... WHAT'S wrong with you guys ?!

Comment

....they build something good around wine, really good support, 1 click install, they help fix issues, the biggest names behind Wine are employed by codeweavers so they can earn a living and at the same time make wine bigger and better for everybody, its a win:win.... but seeing these kinds of posts really makes me wonder why people see issues in everything, sad

Comment

Sooo .. You also use just free open source in Wine?

Comment

crossover vs playonlinux

do crossover support more games/software than playonlinux ?

someone has un example of a game or software better supported by crossover than playonlinux ?

Comment

Originally posted by adrenochrome View Post
            do crossover support more games/software than playonlinux ?

someone has un example of a game or software better supported by crossover than playonlinux ?
            What do you mean by support ? Do more games run on Crossover than on PoL? I do not know for sure but it may be that PoL can run more stuff than Crossover because they use a different wine version for every program they have an install routine for if they believe that particular wine version will help run a certain program better.

Or maybe, by support, you mean that there is a guarantee that certain applications will not break because of regressions in the code between versions of Crossover and that if something breaks with an officially supported application their developers and support people will do their best to come up with either fixes or workarounds until a fix is found.

Either way, you have an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
              Are you guys completely crazy ? sorry for being so harsh but:

1. Codeweavers is THE company behind wine developement. They employ a lot of the wine devs !
              2. The money you pay for there product is for the support and the ui they built around wine to make it easier to use
              3. They include some app specific fixes whcih are not ready for plain wine cause it has vers strict coding guidelines

Now this great company with great support gives away their work FOR FREE and you guys still complain.... WHAT'S wrong with you guys ?!
              Pretty much sums up what I was gonna say.

I got in the 2008 free Lame Duck offer. Didn't use it much but the UI install was handy if you wanted to quickly install something to test. Stuff that codeweavers does will eventually trickle down to the wine tree. If you have a support contract you get a influence vote on what they work on, and you can submit issues that they will look into and answer.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Doing this movie is like snake biting own tail, they signal to convert a portion of wine users into crossover users with hopes for them to pay. This is BAD and signalizes that wine will possibly die soon, due to head biting on own tail.
                except that you would be completely wrong. CodeWeavers has done this type of give away at least 3 other times that i am aware of, over the years. So i don't see this having any negative effect on them at all. If anything, it just gives people a chance to check it out.

Wine is great and i prefer it, but CrossOver does have some nice advantages in some ways.

I may download a copy, just to have a look.

Comment

Bug fixes

Since crossover is based on wine, and some crossover devs work on wine, "maybe" they are deliberately hiding the bugs in wine so you pay for the whole thing. I can't believe no one has ever thought this before...

Comment

Would be very "funny" when cxoffice would be based on something newer than wine 1.5.9 and steam would not require the -no-dwrite hack...

Comment

It is a good idea, like a 12 months trial version:
                      Within the next week you will receive an email from us. Clicking the unique link in that email will create a free 12-month support entitlement on our server. Your support entitlement will give you full access to support and updates for the next year.

As a matter of fact, I wasn't aware they are still that active. For example do I have no idea about their price model...

Playing rather older games and one mmo at a time, I was always fine with PlayOnLinux and pure wine itself. Let's check it out

Comment

Working...
                      X