Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.7-rc3: Some Of You Need To Change Your Names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 3.7-rc3: Some Of You Need To Change Your Names

    Phoronix: Linux 3.7-rc3: Some Of You Need To Change Your Names

    Linus Torvalds released the Linux 3.7-rc3 kernel on Sunday evening. There isn't much that stands out about this release, but there is a small comedic rant by Linus about the names of some kernel contributors...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxNzk

  • #2
    Say one thing for Linus, say he has a sense of humour

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
      Say one thing for Linus, say he has a sense of humour
      +1

      Indeed. I like that.
      He develops the Linux kernel used by every big company in the world and he still jokes and haves fun, that's great.

      Comment


      • #4
        Not only does he have a sense of humor in a business oriented field but he says things that can be portrayed as offensive, which i like because he either says what he needs to to get the job done (and done right) or he's just teasing people and trying to lighten the mood of something that is otherwise boring.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Not only does he have a sense of humor in a business oriented field but he says things that can be portrayed as offensive, which i like because he either says what he needs to to get the job done (and done right) or he's just teasing people and trying to lighten the mood of something that is otherwise boring.
          Torvalds (who is a dick ) along with RMS (who is mad ) are probably two of the most important people of our times. While others strive for profit those people gave away their work for free to everybody. And thats noble.

          And of course this doesn't exclude the hundreds of devs that did the same thing. For the fun of it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            Torvalds (who is a dick ) along with RMS (who is mad ) are probably two of the most important people of our times. While others strive for profit those people gave away their work for free to everybody. And thats noble.

            And of course this doesn't exclude the hundreds of devs that did the same thing. For the fun of it.
            Probably sacrilege to say on a linux forum, but i also think Bill Gates as a great man. He made lots of money and actively tried to denounce linux, but in the end, he has donated almost all of his money to charity.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
              Probably sacrilege to say on a linux forum, but i also think Bill Gates as a great man. He made lots of money and actively tried to denounce linux, but in the end, he has donated almost all of his money to charity.
              After a point money doesn't mean anything. And on the contrary if don't have any it means the world. Sadly . Torvalds and RMS didn't give their work away after they got money (well torvalds gets enough now i believe. RMS i doubt if he has any in the bank). And that puts them on a whole different level. I see Gates and Jobs as successful businessmen. Nothing wrong with that.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
                Probably sacrilege to say on a linux forum, but i also think Bill Gates as a great man. He made lots of money and actively tried to denounce linux, but in the end, he has donated almost all of his money to charity.
                It's a sacrilege to say something stupid.

                That wasn't.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It certainly is stupid.

                  He doesn't donate all of his money to charity. Many sites about his so called 'charity'. Things like investing in 'bad' companies to 'help' those being hurt by said bad companies to begin with. Controversies all over the place. He is trying to 'clear' his name as an ass.

                  Sure, he was a great businessman. He made lots of money. Lots and lots of it. Does that automatically make him an amazing or good person? I would like to think not. If you take it to the extreme, the Third Reich was also quite wealthy, or at least Adolf himself. He made lots of gold/money. Does that make him a good person? I don't think so.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by oliver View Post
                    It certainly is stupid.

                    He doesn't donate all of his money to charity. Many sites about his so called 'charity'. Things like investing in 'bad' companies to 'help' those being hurt by said bad companies to begin with. Controversies all over the place. He is trying to 'clear' his name as an ass.

                    Sure, he was a great businessman. He made lots of money. Lots and lots of it. Does that automatically make him an amazing or good person? I would like to think not. If you take it to the extreme, the Third Reich was also quite wealthy, or at least Adolf himself. He made lots of gold/money. Does that make him a good person? I don't think so.

                    he has donated lots of money for malaria and HIV research. Plus, aid to various NGO's in third world countries. Plus, money for sanitation and drinking water.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
                      he has donated lots of money for malaria and HIV research. Plus, aid to various NGO's in third world countries. Plus, money for sanitation and drinking water.
                      Hah. You do know that a lot of that money he donated for malaria and HIV research he made back through investments into very expensive medication for said ailments? As we all agreed up pon, he is a great businessman. He pretends to be this nice awesome person, but actually makes money of off it the same.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
                        Probably sacrilege to say on a linux forum, but i also think Bill Gates as a great man. He made lots of money and actively tried to denounce linux, but in the end, he has donated almost all of his money to charity.
                        He may have donated an unfathomable amount of money but I'm sure it was to clear a guilty conscience of the lives he ruined trying to get that money. There's a reason Windows and DOS were such a wild success when they were never really amazing OSes. Bill knew what it took to be a success, probably better than anyone else, but such power can only be achieved by bad deeds. Look up MSs anticompetitive history and you'll see why.

                        On the contrary, Bill probably performed his plans this way as a form of revenge, since i got the impression he was overall mistreated when he was younger.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                          He may have donated an unfathomable amount of money but I'm sure it was to clear a guilty conscience of the lives he ruined trying to get that money. There's a reason Windows and DOS were such a wild success when they were never really amazing OSes. Bill knew what it took to be a success, probably better than anyone else, but such power can only be achieved by bad deeds. Look up MSs anticompetitive history and you'll see why.

                          On the contrary, Bill probably performed his plans this way as a form of revenge, since i got the impression he was overall mistreated when he was younger.
                          I don't know him personally and also don't know Linus personally (once took part in a lecture with RMS, who is cool).
                          Bill Gates is the inventor of software piracy, since he started complaining that people copied his DOS OS (which was common to share/copy floppies these days). He was one of the first to push sueing private people for copying software, which I don't like him for.

                          Today, thanks to Bill Gates, 10% of software development is spend on copy protection, DVD/Bluray player have costs for copy protection licences included etc. and the government is hunting down their citizens if they copy software and watches their every step on the internet.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
                            he has donated lots of money for malaria and HIV research. Plus, aid to various NGO's in third world countries. Plus, money for sanitation and drinking water.
                            And the roads.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X