Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Loses Some Linux Kernel Developers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    I think it's more like

    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    What about: we're in so over our heads, we think the shotgun approach makes most sense.
    Our manufacturing facilities can't compete against Intel, so we're going to expand into new markets where Intel doesn't dominate yet, in the hopes that we can compete a lot better against these smaller companies that don't have any more money than we do.

    I think it's probably the right move for them, given the realities of the situation, but it does speak of their desperation. This decision isn't coming from a position of strength.

    Comment


    • #22
      In case someone missed:

      http://semiaccurate.com/2012/10/15/a...emiconductors/

      (borrowed from thread: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...onductors-quot )

      Comment


      • #23
        damn it

        AMD could be going around all kinds of markets, if they wouldn't be stubborn and would concentrate on high-performance x86 desktop CPUs without half-assed built-in GPUs on them and bring their graphics into ARM world. but no, they got to play Intel game and pushing power-hungry, simplified hybrid x86 stuff everythere, fail and then complain, while compensating with engineers, the very people, who can do useful shit.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Our manufacturing facilities can't compete against Intel, so we're going to expand into new markets where Intel doesn't dominate yet, in the hopes that we can compete a lot better against these smaller companies that don't have any more money than we do.

          I think it's probably the right move for them, given the realities of the situation, but it does speak of their desperation. This decision isn't coming from a position of strength.
          Except they don't have any manufacturing facilities. But it doesn't seem they have a direction either.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Well they have to make cuts somewhere and right now, like it or not, with AMD being dominated in the server arena, linux does not make them a lot of money.
            It should still make them more than Windows Server.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              Folks, please use the proper term, out of respect for the affected people. You get "fired" when you are terminated for performance or similar reasons. You are "laid off" when your position becomes redundant, or the company has no funds to pay your salary.

              Cutting Linux support is crazy for a CPU company, if you ask me. Mobile computing, in particular, is being heavily dominated by Linux (android). Oh well. I guess I have no option rather buying Intel next time, and as much as some of you already said, I hate fueling a monopoly (even though I love Intel's Linux support).
              We don't know what is happening without input from those 3 developers or others inside AMD.

              It's very well possible that AMD is consolidating multiple teams into one, and the tasks of (parts of) OSRC Dresden might be moving elsewhere, to some other country. Some people might agree to move there to keep their job, but others will probably prefer to stay where they are (e.g. because they have a family, kids have their school & friends in Germany, etc.). And I'm sure there are many other reasonable explanations possible.

              Again: we don't know what is happening without input from those 3 developers or others inside AMD, and without any more news, everything in this thread is speculation...

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by JanC View Post
                We don't know what is happening without input from those 3 developers or others inside AMD.

                It's very well possible that AMD is consolidating multiple teams into one, and the tasks of (parts of) OSRC Dresden might be moving elsewhere, to some other country. Some people might agree to move there to keep their job, but others will probably prefer to stay where they are (e.g. because they have a family, kids have their school & friends in Germany, etc.). And I'm sure there are many other reasonable explanations possible.

                Again: we don't know what is happening without input from those 3 developers or others inside AMD, and without any more news, everything in this thread is speculation...
                To end your speculation: AMD closing down the OSRC in Dresden and it's not just those 3 guys. I would call it very unlikely that those guys prefer to relocate to another continent, just to keep their job within a struggling company.

                Comment


                • #28
                  There is tons of work from AMD going into LLVM/Clang that includes Linux.

                  Losing 3 dudes with Linux kernel experience is a pot in a giant pee bowl. Relax.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    AMD driver sucks anyways. Anyone who want decent Linux support should get an nvidia card.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      There is tons of work from AMD going into LLVM/Clang that includes Linux.

                      Losing 3 dudes with Linux kernel experience is a pot in a giant pee bowl. Relax.
                      It so happens that the kernel runs your cpus, not LLVM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X