Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reiser4 Benchmarked On Linux 3.5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reiser4 Benchmarked On Linux 3.5

    Phoronix: Reiser4 Benchmarked On Linux 3.5

    While the Reiser4 file-system has been in-development for the better part of the past decade, it still hasn't been merged into the mainline Linux kernel. Reiser4 is still out-of-tree, doesn't see much new development activity by its limited developers, and the file-system remains tarnished due to its founder, Hans Reiser, being a convicted murderer. However, Edward Shishkin the former Namesys employee, does continue to drive its development forward. Reiser4 was recently updated to work with the more modern Linux 3.5 kernel.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17996

  • #2
    What does it do?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      What does it do?
      Typically murders mail order wives and makes shitty defenses in court then gets beaten up badly in prison. Also, even if Hans Reiser didn't murder anyone, the kernel people NEVER liked him. We would have never seen Reiser4 becoming mainstream anyway, despite the fact that ReiserFS was so damn popular. I have a hunch, if it was developed more, it would be far ahead of any Linux filesystem speedwise (for desktop loads at least.)

      Comment


      • #4
        Is Reiser4 the "Brain fuck scheduler" of file systems ?
        It has merits, and can be developed further to beat a lot of mainline FS's. But it wont be _ever_ introduced in the mainline kernel. For reasons that some critics say are biased against the _developer_ , rather than the technical merit of the code itself.

        Comment


        • #5
          'whooped' in a 'majority'? Really? Well technically - because of threaded io tester.... if you take that one out everything changes. Or you could have written 'btrfs is whooped' ... well... whatever.

          Btw, why did you miss to mention THE r4 feature? atomicy?

          Rename data loss can happen with every FS - except reiser4.

          Or wandering journal and dancing trees which are a nice way to spread the write load over the disk?

          Comment


          • #6
            They never let it in the kernel. I personally believe that some ext people were even scared of ReiserFS's efficiency and didn't want it in the kernel. Not monocausal but this was also a reason.
            Now, for being developed by so few (one?) persons, and being out of tree it still makes a good run. It's sad that it never really had the chance to go mainline. Ext was never _that_ great and btrfs is still fiddling with some issues and still not announced as ready for productive systems (but I'm glad Chris Mason is not at Oracle anymore).
            But so there are some things, people, good ideas, sometimes ahead of their time. Masses laught at them, but much later everybody uses the same principle and agrees that this is now common standard.

            Comment


            • #7
              BTRFS sucks

              Sorry to say it, but what's all the excitement about BTRFS when it sucks so much compared to EXT4. Why would any desktop Linux user in their right mind chose BTRFS???

              Comment


              • #8
                ssds are gonna become the standard in five years anyway.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                  Typically murders mail order wives and makes shitty defenses in court then gets beaten up badly in prison. Also, even if Hans Reiser didn't murder anyone, the kernel people NEVER liked him. We would have never seen Reiser4 becoming mainstream anyway, despite the fact that ReiserFS was so damn popular. I have a hunch, if it was developed more, it would be far ahead of any Linux filesystem speedwise (for desktop loads at least.)
                  ZFS should be able to outperform it.

                  Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  'whooped' in a 'majority'? Really? Well technically - because of threaded io tester.... if you take that one out everything changes. Or you could have written 'btrfs is whooped' ... well... whatever.

                  Btw, why did you miss to mention THE r4 feature? atomicy?

                  Rename data loss can happen with every FS - except reiser4.

                  Or wandering journal and dancing trees which are a nice way to spread the write load over the disk?
                  ZFS should be immune to this issue.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ryao View Post
                    ZFS should be able to outperform it.
                    ZFS should be immune to this issue.
                    so why we don't use ZFS? (don't answer this was only a rhetorical question to show you how stupid it is to write about ZFS in this tropic.)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                      Typically murders mail order wives and makes shitty defenses in court then gets beaten up badly in prison. Also, even if Hans Reiser didn't murder anyone, the kernel people NEVER liked him. We would have never seen Reiser4 becoming mainstream anyway, despite the fact that ReiserFS was so damn popular. I have a hunch, if it was developed more, it would be far ahead of any Linux filesystem speedwise (for desktop loads at least.)
                      From what I've been able to gather he wanted to do several things that just didn't work/ broke compatibility with the traditional Linux and UNIX filesystems.

                      Here's a taste of some of it.

                      http://yarchive.net/comp/linux/reiser4.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
                        so why we don't use ZFS? (don't answer this was only a rhetorical question to show you how stupid it is to write about ZFS in this tropic.)
                        Most distributions do not have first party support yet, although the number has been increasing. 5 distributions have first party support as of this year. That is up from 0 last year.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
                          so why we don't use ZFS? (don't answer this was only a rhetorical question to show you how stupid it is to write about ZFS in this tropic.)
                          Q, it is "topic" not "tropic". Sorry for being OT, but you make this mistake all the time. And it also shows that you're Q, which you tried to hide so hard ;-)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ryao View Post
                            Most distributions do not have first party support yet, although the number has been increasing. 5 distributions have first party support as of this year. That is up from 0 last year.
                            Hi ryao,

                            I got fed up with FreeBSD and support for certain SATA controllers, so I whopped the OS from the disk yesterday and put Gentoo on it.
                            1. The Gentoo LiveCD 12.1 with ZFSOnLinux opened my existing pools without problems (once created with FreeBSD)
                            2. install went fine (I didn't use ZFS as rootfs but ext4)
                            3. all pools are available during boot and much better HW support with 3.4 Linux kernel

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ryao View Post
                              Most distributions do not have first party support yet, although the number has been increasing. 5 distributions have first party support as of this year. That is up from 0 last year.
                              ..and the fact that it uses a fuckhuge amount of ram to work properly. 1gb minimum was it? Dedicated, only for ZFS at that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X