Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt5's Linux Requirements Cause Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Qt 5 is using the raster engine, so no GUI operation is actually hardware accelerated (that model of accelerating "lines" and "triangles" on 2D GUIs has been outdated for years now on most modern operating systems.) So using XCB is fine.
    Qt 4 is 6.5 times slower with raster engine than with native engine on Intel G33 graphics card

    qtperf4 -graphicssystem native
    QLineEdit - 0.022 s
    QComboBox - 0.19 s
    QComboBoxEntry - 0.183 s
    QSpinBox - 0.015 s
    QProgressBar - 0.021 s
    QPushButton - 0.016 s
    QCheckbox - 0.007 s
    QRadioButton - 0.019 s
    QTextEdit add text - 0.057 s
    QTextEdit scroll - 0.048 s
    QPainter lines - 12.95 s
    QPainter circles - 13.1 s
    QPainter text - 1.356 s
    QPainter pixmap - 0.088 s
    Total: 28.072001 s

    qtperf4 -graphicssystem raster
    QLineEdit - 0.043 s
    QComboBox - 0.336 s
    QComboBoxEntry - 0.327 s
    QSpinBox - 0.024 s
    QProgressBar - 0.04 s
    QPushButton - 0.017 s
    QCheckbox - 0.014 s
    QRadioButton - 0.035 s
    QTextEdit add text - 0.175 s
    QTextEdit scroll - 0.148 s
    QPainter lines - 86.218 s
    QPainter circles - 86.222 s
    QPainter text - 8.689 s
    QPainter pixmap - 0.867 s
    Total: 183.154999 s

    Comment


    • #22
      EGL?

      Intel Mesa developers have stated that GLX is "pretty much" deprecated and you should be using EGL anyway. See http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE3MTI.

      Comment


      • #23
        Indeed.

        Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        Somebody made a post saying that using XCB means you are relying on Mono... that is a completely factually wrong statement and I'm a little confused as to how anyone could even come up with something that weird.

        A little more seriously, could the original writer of the rant look into using EGL instead of GLX? Apparently GLX is quickly on its way to deprecation anyway, so EGL could be the right way to go. I'm not sure what sort of functionality he needs, but I hope that the XCB bindings (or another API interface) would give it to him. If he is just writing a window manager then I'm not sure why he needs low-level access to the guts of OpenGL anyway...
        Completely agree. MESA developers discourage the use of GLX. EGL is usable and is a Khronos standard. And since Qt is all about portability, his code should run on more platforms, EGL being platform agnostic.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Fazer View Post
          Michael, there are 2 vulgar words in this article. Please don't publish such rants.
          Coarse language is a fact of life. If it really bothers you, turn on a parental filter. Personally, I can't stand advertising, so I block that.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by JS987 View Post
            Qt 4 is 6.5 times slower with raster engine than with native engine on Intel G33 graphics card

            qtperf4 -graphicssystem native
            QLineEdit - 0.022 s
            QComboBox - 0.19 s
            QComboBoxEntry - 0.183 s
            QSpinBox - 0.015 s
            QProgressBar - 0.021 s
            QPushButton - 0.016 s
            QCheckbox - 0.007 s
            QRadioButton - 0.019 s
            QTextEdit add text - 0.057 s
            QTextEdit scroll - 0.048 s
            QPainter lines - 12.95 s
            QPainter circles - 13.1 s
            QPainter text - 1.356 s
            QPainter pixmap - 0.088 s
            Total: 28.072001 s

            qtperf4 -graphicssystem raster
            QLineEdit - 0.043 s
            QComboBox - 0.336 s
            QComboBoxEntry - 0.327 s
            QSpinBox - 0.024 s
            QProgressBar - 0.04 s
            QPushButton - 0.017 s
            QCheckbox - 0.014 s
            QRadioButton - 0.035 s
            QTextEdit add text - 0.175 s
            QTextEdit scroll - 0.148 s
            QPainter lines - 86.218 s
            QPainter circles - 86.222 s
            QPainter text - 8.689 s
            QPainter pixmap - 0.867 s
            Total: 183.154999 s
            Are you using sna?

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              Are you using sna?
              Yes with Intel driver 2.20.7 and Xserver 1.12.4

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                Yes with Intel driver 2.20.7 and Xserver 1.12.4
                FWIW, in my case the difference is even bigger, in favor of native, too. Mobile Intel Sandybridge, SNA. But this is slightly off-topic

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                  Yes with Intel driver 2.20.7 and Xserver 1.12.4
                  Here's the results on my machine (intel ironlake with sna, xorg 1.12.4, kernel 3.5, kde 4.9.1)

                  raster: http://i.imgur.com/Cmlv1.png
                  native: http://i.imgur.com/wXEiZ.png

                  Definitely not as big of a difference on my machine, but native does seem slightly faster here too.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by jrdls View Post
                    Completely agree. MESA developers discourage the use of GLX. EGL is usable and is a Khronos standard. And since Qt is all about portability, his code should run on more platforms, EGL being platform agnostic.
                    EGL hardly has an installed base right now. Maybe in five years you can rely only on it.

                    By my count, EGL is available on mobiles, mesa git, recent blobs. Not on much of the linux systems, nor Windows or Macs. (not 100% sure on the EGL situation on Macs)

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Of course crass language is a part of life.. its the part that causes me to cease caring about reading Phoenix articles which are often incorrect but at least retained some semblance of professionalism.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X