Who's Leading The Development Of Mono

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
    @Awesomeness: do you know big contributions in LibreOffice that are done by a guy as you, who is not paid by anyone? And does make big big features? Like an OpenGL backend to make everything to run on GPU? Or to remove the depenency to Java by rewriting all parts into Python? Or into Linux kernel? Is not to say that LibreOffice is not a community project, but free is in freedom, but not necesarily in price: all things that require time need to be paid in a form or another: either by users, either by company that uses it, or by reporting bugs, or making small fixes.
    Considering that TDF regularly releases contributor statistics including affiliation for LibreOffice, I obviously know how much code is from community contributions.

Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
    And even all would be corporate paid, why would it matter?
    It matters to me because I am interested in it – you should have known that because I already wrote that I personally am interested in the size of the community. Get it? No, you probably don’t… If you did, you'd wouldn't have sidestepped the question, yet still feel the urge to answer me.
    If you don’t have stats on contributor affiliation, fine, but then simply don’t answer at all instead of throwing needless “it doesn’t matter anyway”-like comments at me.

Comment

http://techrights.org/2011/09/29/mig...a-linux-hater/

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Considering that TDF regularly releases contributor statistics including affiliation for LibreOffice, I obviously know how much code is from community contributions.
        It matters to me because I am interested in it – you should have known that because I already wrote that I personally am interested in the size of the community. Get it? No, you probably don’t… If you did, you'd wouldn't have sidestepped the question, yet still feel the urge to answer me.
        If you don’t have stats on contributor affiliation, fine, but then simply don’t answer at all instead of throwing needless “it doesn’t matter anyway”-like comments at me.
        So for me the question of the size of community is tricky, because if you will use TDF (as it was some years ago a project of basically a codebase of two corporations Oracle and Novell), the main features are always in complex projects paid by corporations.
        Look to GCC, main developers are paid by Google, RedHat.
        My answer with contributors made it clear that as GCC was a multi-corporation main contributions, in the same way, companies that have interest in Mono contribute:
        - Xamarin, ex Ximian
        - Microsoft (via external libraries like IronPython, IronRuby, DLR, EntityFramework)
        - community: NUnit, VB.Net support was initially a community project, MonoDevelop (SharpDevelop based, which was a community project too), Sketic UI designer
        - corporations that were in need to support of a specific component: System.Windows.Forms based on contributions of Codice (as far as I know)
        - Novell (of course)
        - Google via Summer-Of-Code sessions
        - IKVM.NET is a community project to create a JVM with Mono and .Net. IKVM.Net reflection backend is used by Mono compiler to write correct MSIL.
        - small patches that are made by community (I didn't but not because I didn't want, or I wanted to be paid, but because I did not had the full skillset and time to sort it out, or motivation).
        The reason why it would not matter, is the benefit of the Linux community. Is like Flash on Linux (even I would think that Mono is way better on matter of freedom and openness): you could do more with it than without it. The same as with GCC: is similar codebase in size (Mono is 8.8 million lines, when GCC is "just" 7.3 million) and it supports a lot of things you may want to run programs on a lot of platforms. If you will look around, even are also not public statistics of how much Intel do contribute to GCC (even they also have their competing compiler, maybe they are writing "submarines", even I see no one complaining), or how many contribute a single 1 line patch either. I mean, yes, some did those statistics, and anyone can do it part of both GCC's git or Mono's Git.
        Legal note: I'm not affiliated with any of the companies said before. Also, the information is best of my understanding (maybe one company like Linden Labs had huge contributions I wasn't aware, and I'm aware of some)

Comment

Working...
        X