Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.0 Beta Released

Phoronix: Qt 5.0 Beta Released

At long last, the Qt 5.0 beta has been released...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MTg

Wayland

I think Qt5 support for Wayland is complete except for client-side decorations (CSD).

Not sure though.

Comment

Re

Larabel, you always point that you said previously that "this software will or will not release this year, bla-bla-bla, oh look how I guess right".
      Why don't you point this time that you said that the beta won't release in August and all this kind of crap talk?
      Sorry but for me you sound like a kindergarten or school boy that praises himself to all the people around on stupid things and that's really annoying reading from the side. Be mature, can't you also say that you were wrong talking crap on Qt development?

Comment

Does QT 5 support window decorations under Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Does QT 5 support window decorations under Wayland?
          Currently no and hopefully it never will. The idea that each application itself should handle window decorations is completely retarded. It would only lead to inconsistencies between all applications. Window decorations are the job of the compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Currently no and hopefully it never will. The idea that each application itself should handle window decorations is completely retarded. It would only lead to inconsistencies between all applications. Window decorations are the job of the compositor.
            If Wayland works that way, it should be supported. Period. If you don't like it, don't use Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Maybe there is more than client-side decorations to Wayland support?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                If Wayland works that way, it should be supported. Period. If you don't like it, don't use Wayland.
                As MS Windows has client side decoration I'm sure Qt need to support it? In Linux I suppose its up to the window manager if they use it?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  We're waiting for your patch. In the meantime, there are hundreds of millions of systems where Qt runs right now which are more important than dubious functionality on a yet-to-be-released experimental display server.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    We're waiting for your patch. In the meantime, there are hundreds of millions of systems where Qt runs right now which are more important than dubious functionality on a yet-to-be-released experimental display server.
                    Does Microsoft Windows use client-side decorations?
                    Which version?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      We're waiting for your patch.
                      I am not allowed to submit it, because I didn't click "accept" on the license agreement. (I want my open source code and anything based on it to *stay* open source.)

In the meantime, there are hundreds of millions of systems where Qt runs right now which are more important than dubious functionality on a yet-to-be-released experimental display server.
                      Actually the comment was an answer to: "Currently no and hopefully it never will."

Hopefully it never will? Is that your view point as well? If yes, why did you ask for a patch? You would simply reject it in that case, no?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                        Does Microsoft Windows use client-side decorations?
                        Which version?
                        Vista with Aero, I guess. Many programs are able to display their own stuff alongside the decorations. Firefox for example. Look at the "Nightly" button at the top left; it's embedded within the title bar:

http://microsoft-info.com/wp-content...firefox-15.jpg

Linux WMs can't do that.

PS:
                        Unless this isn't what "client-side decorations" actually means :-P

Comment

I like that when an application freezes I can still click on the close button, and a few seconds later xfwm asks me if I want to kill it. Wouldn’t client-side decorations prevent such a feature?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                            I like that when an application freezes I can still click on the close button, and a few seconds later xfwm asks me if I want to kill it. Wouldn’t client-side decorations prevent such a feature?
                            This has been talked about by the Wayland devs a long time ago, I don't know what's the current status, but they basically devised that Weston (the compositor) is responsible for treating hung up apps, the details should be in the source code and on the mailing list (google), can't find those discussions, but Kristian Hogsberg said at the time he knows the solution, but didn't implement it cause he had to finish the core stuff first.

It would be good if someone posts this question on the Wayland mailing list, or examines the source code.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                              This has been talked about by the Wayland devs a long time ago, I don't know what's the current status, but they basically devised that Weston (the compositor) is responsible for treating hung up apps, the details should be in the source code and on the mailing list (google), can't find those discussions, but Kristian Hogsberg said at the time he knows the solution, but didn't implement it cause he had to finish the core stuff first.

It would be good if someone posts this question on the Wayland mailing list, or examines the source code.
                              Well it basically just boiled down to the client announcing a rect denoting the position of it's "close" button,
                              and whenever weston detects a click there it sends a ping request. If it isn't pong within reasonable time,
                              it will assume the app is hung, and possibly ask the user if he wants to force quit (that's how I understood it).

Although you probably knew that already...

Comment

Working...
                              X