Qt 5.0 Beta Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    There has already been a proposed solution to hanging apps. They can specify a rect denoting the x button,
    and if there is no reply to a ping, the app will be deemed unresponsive and a terminate dialog might pop up.
    OMG! Can it get more hackish than that?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      OMG! Can it get more hackish than that?
      What do you mean, "hackish"? It would be part of the official protocol,
      no hacks needed.
      It's the same really as with specifying where a surface can be grabbed
      for moving.

Comment

Hackish = Awkward workaround for a broken design choice.
        It's going to even more “genius” on applications with GUI separated from program logic. Then a hanging application still can be resized but the program no longer knows where the “close rectangle” is, meaning the x button will be purely cosmetic but the “close rectangle” position will be left unchanged.

So many tradeoffs just to get a single feature: slightly smoother window resizing. As if users constantly resize their windows… The windows are either maximized or in window mode.

Nothing you wrote so far convinced me that there will be no shitstorm from users once Wayland arrives to the mainstream if Wayland’s default behavior is not tweaked.

I really hope my predictions of inconsistent title bars etc. are wrong. Well… wait and see. The worst thing that could happen is that I was right and I can with all confidence say “I told you so” or I will be positively surprised…

Comment

Hackish = Awkward workaround for a broken design choice.
          I don't see how it's a workaround. If that's your definition of "hackish", then Xorg with all its extensions must be an undead shitfest to you.
          The wayland devs didn't just jump up and say "hey! let's write another X11".
          The idea that a resize can only happen through attachment of a resized buffer is pretty much ingrained in wayland.
          Therefore, what I said is just one solution to hanging apps, if you have a better one go ahead and post it.

It's going to even more “genius” on applications with GUI separated from program logic. Then a hanging application still can be resized but the program no longer knows where the “close rectangle” is, meaning the x button will be purely cosmetic but the “close rectangle” position will be left unchanged.
          For a GUI to resize, it needs to communicate with the compostior. And if it can communicate, it can also sent a message to update the rectangle.
          I don't really get what you're talking about.

So many tradeoffs just to get a single feature: slightly smoother window resizing. As if users constantly resize their windows… The windows are either maximized or in window mode.

Nothing you wrote so far convinced me that there will be no shitstorm from users once Wayland arrives to the mainstream if Wayland’s default behavior is not tweaked.
          Where exactly did I say that's the only feature Wayland is designed for? It was merely an example that stood out to me personally.
          I can try to explain why wayland is being done, but I don't give a rat's ass if you like it or not. Xorg won't magically die,
          so you and everyone else repulsed by the new protocol can go ahead and maintain the old codebase, I'm sure the Xorg devs
          will appreciate it a lot.
          I really hope my predictions of inconsistent title bars etc. are wrong. Well… wait and see. The worst thing that could happen is that I was right and I can with all confidence say “I told you so” or I will be positively surprised…
          Yeah, I hope so too, I spend around 94% of my time looking at them. Them being different would totally screw up my workflow.

Comment

Then a hanging application still can be resized but the program no longer knows where the “close rectangle” is, meaning the x button will be purely cosmetic but the “close rectangle” position will be left unchanged.

So many tradeoffs just to get a single feature: slightly smoother window resizing. As if users constantly resize their windows...
            As if applications are constantly hanging...

And you can close them from the task bar to begin with, as was already mentioned.

Comment

Working...
            X