Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 15 Does Better On WebGL, Debugging, RAM Usage

Phoronix: Firefox 15 Does Better On WebGL, Debugging, RAM Usage

Mozilla had officially released Firefox 15.0 this morning with many new features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MDc

I compared Mozilla's BananaBread and UE3 Flash (in Chrome, FF is still slightly slower)

and BB was 2x faster;-)

@curaga
    Do you need *.gif version?

Comment

LoL!

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
      @curaga
      Do you need *.gif version?
      Good One!!

Comment

It seems like every release they say memory usage is improved but I don't see much noticeable change. It's starting to feel meaningless like how every Ubuntu release is said to be faster, smoother, have quicker boot time, feel "snappier".

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
          It seems like every release they say memory usage is improved but I don't see much noticeable change. It's starting to feel meaningless like how every Ubuntu release is said to be faster, smoother, have quicker boot time, feel "snappier".
          I don't think 15 really reduces memory use under "normal" situations, it just fixes a bunch of memory leaks that were created by a lot of different extensions. So if you used to have problems with Firefox leaking tons of memory over time, this may be the release that fixes it for you. But I don't think there's going to be much further reductions in the baseline memory use.

In fact, I think FF15 is when compartment-per-global landed, so that probably increases the baseline memory use.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I was recently in need for a modern browser on a very lowend machine - P4 with 512Mb. So, I had to compare Fx with Google Chrome/ium. I opened several websites and surfed a little, then let the machine stay for 3 hours. The results were astonishing - Fx-50MiB, Chrome-300MiB (up to crossing the 480MiB boundary total). I know that Chrome has a bit faster Javascript, but in terms of Ram usage Fx is clearly better.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              I was recently in need for a modern browser on a very lowend machine - P4 with 512Mb. So, I had to compare Fx with Google Chrome/ium. I opened several websites and surfed a little, then let the machine stay for 3 hours. The results were astonishing - Fx-50MiB, Chrome-300MiB (up to crossing the 480MiB boundary total). I know that Chrome has a bit faster Javascript, but in terms of Ram usage Fx is clearly better.
              True, on my PC chrome 64bit opened with 20+ tabs and running for 4 hour can consume as much as 1.5GB ram. I switch to chrome from firefox 3.5 when I had a old PC but now Chrome is more Ram hungry then FF.

Comment

The WebGL problems with FF were (or are) driver related right ????

I remember they were only supporting blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  I remember they were only supporting blobs.
                  From the demo page:
                  Mesa on Firefox 15 on Linux does not support compressed textures, but it works in Firefox 16.
                  That's all, FF16 WebGL works fine (tested on R600g).

Comment

Blog post on Firefox 15 memory reduction

Hi guys, here's the blog post you want for explaining what's special about Firefox 15 with regards to RAM usage:
                    http://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/...-add-on-leaks/

If you'd like to see the progress being made on the Memshrink project (which aims to reduce memory usage), this is the blog to follow. It's updated every 2 weeks now with what's happened with the project.

The wiki page for the Memshrink project is here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance/MemShrink

Comment

Working...
                    X