Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PathScale Working On DogFood, A New Dev IDE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PathScale Working On DogFood, A New Dev IDE

    Phoronix: PathScale Working On DogFood, A New Dev IDE

    PathScale is working on a new project that is internally dubbed "DogFood", it's a new integrated development environment (IDE) based upon Qt Creator but with a greater focus on C++ and other new development concepts...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE1MTU

  • #2
    Based on QtCreator which is GPL right? Thus i'm guessing "DogFood" will be GPL as well (and likely free?)?

    Comment


    • #3
      QtCreator is already my IDE of choice.
      It's going to be interesting to see if DogFood will further enhance it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by markg85 View Post
        Based on QtCreator which is GPL right? Thus i'm guessing "DogFood" will be GPL as well (and likely free?)?
        QT creator seems to be lgpl, but I think it works like the rest of qt, with commercial license available.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by markg85 View Post
          Based on QtCreator which is GPL right? Thus i'm guessing "DogFood" will be GPL as well (and likely free?)?
          QtC is LGPL and has different obligations than the GPL

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Znurre View Post
            QtCreator is already my IDE of choice.
            It's going to be interesting to see if DogFood will further enhance it.
            We have a non-public[1] roadmap we're working on, but I'm happy to discuss your needs. Feel free to contact me direct or just share your wishlist here.

            [1] The more people we hire the more aggressive we can be about our roadmap. At the point when we feel comfortable with everything we can commit to we'll be more public about it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Open source

              I hope they open source DogFood.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by codestr0m View Post
                QtC is LGPL and has different obligations than the GPL
                You'll be modifying QtC and create a derivative, not link against it (it's not a lib), so the obligations are the same as the GPL.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  You'll be modifying QtC and create a derivative, not link against it (it's not a lib), so the obligations are the same as the GPL.
                  I'm not sure how familiar you are with QtC design, but almost everything is pushed to a plugin. You're right that any core QtC changes should go upstream, but they made this pretty commercial friendly. This is not to mention the other licensing options which are available. I'm not alluding to anything, but I'm trying to state facts to avoid FUD.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by codestr0m View Post
                    We have a non-public[1] roadmap we're working on, but I'm happy to discuss your needs. Feel free to contact me direct or just share your wishlist here.

                    [1] The more people we hire the more aggressive we can be about our roadmap. At the point when we feel comfortable with everything we can commit to we'll be more public about it.
                    1) Support for cmake
                    2) A colour scheme like Cobalt in Gedit -> blue background and nicely readable fonts
                    3) Syntax highlight for Cuda/OpenCL besides C++

                    Then I'm all for it!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X