Mono Working Close With Microsoft, Gets $12M USD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    I meant if they care about mono on Linux they should hire developers to make Linux applications. If they don't care about it they should stop their stupid marketing propaganda.
    They're not marketing Mono on Linux. They're marketing Mono for Android and MonoTouch.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
      They're not marketing Mono on Linux. They're marketing Mono for Android
      I see a contradiction here. Android is the most successful Linux out there. You should have written "They're not marketing Mono on desktop or server Linux".
      Last edited by 0xCAFE; 07-25-2012, 04:37 AM.

Comment

I can't write for both iOS and Android in Qt
        Actually, you can write for Android in Qt (although it is not complete yet, there are a number of KDE and Qt applications with android ports), and with Qt 5 android support will be increased considerably. An iOS port of Qt is also in the works by the community, although I don't know the current status.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          Actually, you can write for Android in Qt (although it is not complete yet, there are a number of KDE and Qt applications with android ports), and with Qt 5 android support will be increased considerably. An iOS port of Qt is also in the works by the community, although I don't know the current status.
          So you're correcting me by saying... I can't write for both iOS and Android in Qt?

Comment

PC sales are declining, in the tens of millions. Smartphone sales are still skyrocketing, in the hundreds of millions (and into the billions very soon). There's a reason Microsoft are sinking so much money into trying to be relevant on mobile.
            Microsoft don't care if you write applications in C#/NET or in C++, as long as you do it on Windows desktops/laptops and Windows phones (and soon Surface). C#/NET is Microsoft's answer to Java in the enterprise, here we are talking consumer mobile. Meanwhile Visual Studio 2012 is branded with the 'going native' slogan with a major push in improving their C++ solution. WP8 will support native applications written in C++, which will run on top of the native WinRT runtime. Not even on current Windows mobile platforms are you relegated to C#/NET.

It's not a lot of use without any scripting support.
            It's even less useable without the Unity runtime.

Anything less than majority is irrelevant?
            If you are to earn the epitet: 'the platform that matters on mobile', yes.

Comment

So you're correcting me by saying... I can't write for both iOS and Android in Qt?
              Actually, I was wrong. There is an iOs SDK for Qt also. So yes, you can write for both iOs and Android in Qt.

Comment

Actually, I was wrong. There is an iOs SDK for Qt also. So yes, you can write for both iOs and Android in Qt.
                I can't find anything more than an experimental project on Gitorious that hasn't had a commit for a year

Comment

I can't find anything more than an experimental project on Gitorious that hasn't had a commit for a year

Mono guys : to promote mono,they need to attack other opensource projects.They never attack proprietary software like MS.NET because mono is not a competitor to MS.NET.

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
                    Mono guys : to promote mono,they need to attack other opensource projects.They never attack proprietary software like MS.NET because mono is not a competitor to MS.NET.
                    What crack are you smoking?

Show me an iPhone port of Qt other than http://qt.gitorious.org/+qt-iphone/qt/qt-iphone-clone which, according to http://www.qt-iphone.com/Roadmap.html only supports one of Qt's core libraries, and according to that same gitorious project last saw a commit in July 2011?

Comment

I had rather seen that money going elsewhere (other free project).
                      I mean, yes, money for a free software project is fine.
                      Making interoperability is also fine.
                      It's just... I am very afraid of Microsoft's U-Boot (submarine) patents that will suddenly emerge once Mono is widespread in use. I'll better keep my hands off Mono and products that require it. (Horrible enough that some progs in Windows want you to have .net 1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever and all at the same time installed. Sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                        (Horrible enough that some progs in Windows want you to have .net 1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever and all at the same time installed. Sucks.
                        Yeah, that's retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                          Yeah, that's retarded.
                          It's supposedly a feature. Less risk of breaking old apps if you don't touch the libs they use. A bit like having python2.5, python2.6 and python2.7 and python3.1 all at once.

Comment

http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/16560

Comment

Aha, yes - http://mediator-software.com/

The licensing situation isn't clear to me though - Apple don't allow (L)GPL software in the iOS app store, and Mediator Software don't own the Qt copyright so can't issue commercial licenses. And Nokia aren't selling commercial licenses for iOS use

Comment

Working...
                              X